Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to upgrade my Graphics Card - not sure what's best!

• Please log in to reply

daveharler

daveharler

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have Windows Vista Home Premium with 64-bit Operating System.

In Performance Information And Tools the following information is shown.

Processor - subscore - 4.9
Memory (RAM) - subscore - 4.9
Graphics - subscore - 4.1
Gaming Graphics - 3.6
Primary Hard Disk - 4.4

My current Graphics Card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900XT and I want to upgrade it so that my subscore for Gaming Graphics is better than 3.6, the higher the better!

Please can anyone advise me on the best Graphics Card I can get for my PC. If you need any further info let me know.

P.S. My motherboard is shown in the following link - http://www.microdire...ec=1#ShowReview

Thanks in advance

Dave

Advertisements

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
If your on a budget a 8500 gt with 512mb for about 85- 100 bucks works well for games like bioshock,quake,doom3 IMO. A 8600gt goes for about $120 they run games good to. I myself run 2 8800 gt overclocked BFG cards which are about $300 bucks each.. :) :) :)

Edited by matthew staton, 03 February 2008 - 07:40 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi daveharler, I thought your name looked familiar :)

It really all depends on what you actually want to do. If you want, you could fit the biggest and baddest GPU out there, but it would end up costing you $$$

Do you have a specific game you want to play better, or an alternative end-goal? Or is it simply to "up the performance number"?

Also, depending on how much of an upgrade you wanted, you may have to upgrade your PSU also. What PSU do you currently have?

What kind of budget are you looking at here?

Troy

daveharler

daveharler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi daveharler, I thought your name looked familiar :)

It really all depends on what you actually want to do. If you want, you could fit the biggest and baddest GPU out there, but it would end up costing you $$$

Do you have a specific game you want to play better, or an alternative end-goal? Or is it simply to "up the performance number"?

Also, depending on how much of an upgrade you wanted, you may have to upgrade your PSU also. What PSU do you currently have?

What kind of budget are you looking at here?

Troy

Familiar? Do I know you? :) :) I want to be able to run Sims 2 games and basically any graphic-intensive games. (Also to "up the performance number" as my score (as you can see) is only 3.6. Getting it up to 4.1 or beyond would surely make my PC perform better! Right?) :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So after all this work getting your sound to work under XP, you've gone and upgraded to Vista on me? :)

Well according to this link, your computer should already be able to run Sims 2.

If you want the number to go up, yes a better graphics card will help, but it won't make your computer perform any better in any areas other than 3D gaming.

To run graphic-intensive games, I would be looking at the 8600GTS or a HD 3850 minimum. To run graphic-intensive games well, you should be looking at least at a HD 3870 or an 8800 series card.

Again I ask, what budget do you have for the upgrade? What PSU do you currently have?

Cheers

Troy

daveharler

daveharler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks Troy! (Sorry about moving to Windows Vista! :) ) After looking at your suggestions I have decided to go for the following, at the shop I use mostly - http://www.microdire...ec=1#ShowReview

:) Thanks again!

Dave

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No worries, just note I said 8600GTS, which is a better card than the one you have chosen. This 8600GT is considered a fairly low-end card still.

Cheers,

Troy

Busy Bee

Busy Bee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Compaq Presario CQ5500F pC
I have Windows 7 Home Premium with 64-bit Operating System.
My current graphic card is aGeforce 6150SE nforce 430
2GB but Im going add another 2GB to upgrade to 4GB

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Busy Bee ... :wave: ..:welcome:

you have to start your own thread/topic...
how to is here...