Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tracking IT issues

• Please log in to reply

LynnAisling

LynnAisling

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Greetings!! Does anyone have any good recommendations for tracking IT issues? Even something as simple as an excel sheet. I need to be able to share it between myself and the IT company I use for issues above my head. Yes, Yes I know I should not admit that I don't know anything. :)

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This is a very good question.
With a home computer, or single workstation I would suggest Event viewer.
In this case you are asking about a program to monitor events on a network so your IT company can see what is going on.
Your IT company will be able to answer your question, that is what you pay them for.

LynnAisling

LynnAisling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for the response. It's actually my responsiblity to track issues going on in our companies and our sat. offices. We had agreed we'd use an xls format so I was wondering if someone else had something like that.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
So this is not issues with a single machine, its issues company-wide?

There are multiple "help desk" systems that are web based. They store any "work orders" which you can use to track any problems or systems.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you've got the time and equipment (you need a server that can run this....not a dedicated server...but a server with IIS) you could check out microsoft's sharepoint services server.....it's free...and they've got a "helpdesk" template to allow you and your users to create their own help tickets...then you'd give your outside IT firm access to the website from outside and they can track the issues, mark them as complete etc...

another free optioin would be to check out spiceworks...it's an "assett management" package that scans your network and catalogs all your hardware, software, etc.. (even gets serial numbers where possible) and it also has a helpdesk feature....again the IS people would need to have access...but that's not terribly difficult to achieve