Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

a really good starter linux is "mint linux"

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
OK, with linux there are hundreds of distributions to choose from, (they are called distros) and naturally most linux users when asked what distro to choose from would choose the distro they like most for various reasons, for example I am on Kubuntu linux(I perfer KDE), but the problem with this is that by now most linux users know what they are doing and know the steps to get things running, such as adding programs that are patented to the open source system, getting drivers to work, etc, etc. but this may seem hard to someone the very first time on linux

Now for someone who is trying for the very first time linux, I suggest Mint linux because it has all the patented programs are already configured, that is mp3, streams, codexes etc., meaning that there is little or no afterwork after installing it.

almost finished, we just need two four things now
1) an iso burning program that is easy and free
2) a burnable CD
3) the iso of mint linux
4) a forum about mint linux

with number 1 mentioned above, the problem with windows own burning program is that whatever it burns will not boot(meaning that it is not seen by the computer when the computer starts) so we need a cd burning program that will make the CD bootable like Nero, but if one hasn't got a burning program here is a free ISO burning program for windows users

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

with number 2 mentioned above, any virgin burnable CD will do

with number 3 mentioned above, here is the download site link(below) please choose
Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna(but choose the second one marked "main edition" on the list as the first "beta" means "better wait")

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

with number 4 mentioned above, the forum is very important and nobody gets good at linux without help and the forum has a "help the new guy" section

Now let me gloat, this is why I like linux over window or whatever, this is the linux live CD test and install

The live CD test and how helpful it is
Unlike windows where one has to install to the harddrive first only to find out that some driver is missing, linux offers you the chance to run your system from booting up into the ram meaning that the harddrive is untouched and that one can see before actually installing to the harddrive if your system is right for this distro, if it isn't I simply suggest that someone new to linux should choose another distro as there are many many out there, at any rate if you then turn off the computer no trace of this linux distro remains. Please try out the live CD before installing, using linux from the live CD is malware free by its nature but slow compared to running the system from the harddrive(freeing up the ram) which comes next if you like install it to the harddrive. I repeat, the test is slow compared to when one fully runs it after installing

The actual install
Forget all that you have been told or think about linux, this install is gui style, a few simple questions and then it does the rest. It will ask you to choose a username and a password much like when you register with this site, Of course language(in my case french but I have another computer in english too), date and timezone, and lastly it asks how you would like to sit with windows as in "oust windows", "share" or manually choose partition size, I would choose "share" first. It will show them and ask you reconfirm the options you have chosen, you just say agree and press enter.

an afterthought,
if you have windows with linux on the same computer, and you want to share files across those systems, then linux can see windows whereas here is a program that see linux form windows, I mean how to see linux files from windows if you choose to have both systems on the one computer, you cannot run both systems at the same time but this way to can get files or anything from the sleeping system while the other system is awake
http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

Advertisements