Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everything becomes small after update!

• Please log in to reply

Purycharm

Purycharm

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi!

A couple of days ago I installed the updates to my windows vista. Later, I restarted my computer and everything became smaller. Now, my wallpaper is too little to fit the screen, and the desktop icons not only shrunk but also moved a couple of rows over.

Bascially it's like I zoomed out. My screen size is 1280 x1024 and i've checked that that's what it's set at.

This is probably a really easy problem, but I really can't figure it out!

Please help me solve this problem, thank you very much in advance!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Check the physical 'geometry adjustment' controls on the monitor itself - in particular the horizontal and vertical width controls. They might both need increasing to fill the screen. This is certainly the case if you can't drag the icons beyond the edges of the wallpaper, since that proves it's the monitor's own settings need adjusting, not Windows settings.

Purycharm

Purycharm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for replying!

I checked the monitor settings and I think they're fine, I'm not sure if it's the monitor's problem. I reset the wallpaper and it fit full screen again, but everything else it still a size smaller. I'm not sure how to describe this.

Here's a screenshot of the "New Tab Search Page" I just took.
Posted Image
The search page usually fills about at least 90% of the web page, but now it's much smaller. The taskbar is smaller, all the toolbars on top all became smaller, words are smaller. And it's not just internet explorer, EVERYTHING, windows, programs, all shrunk.

I don't know what happened. Might it be anything else's problem besides the monitor?

Thanks!

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Right click the desktop, select "Personalize", then go to the Desktop background, then scroll down and make sure that the left most icon (little display picture) is selected. This will stretch your picture to cover the complete desktop. OK yourself out.

Now right click the desktop, and select View, and then click Medium Icons (or classic) and see if that makes any difference.

Purycharm

Purycharm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you for your suggestion!

When I reset the wallpaper, it fits fine again, but the thing is, everything else is still small. The icons I've changed, so that's ok. But is there any way to bring all the other stuff back to normal, because no matter what program I bring up, or what window I open, everthing is still small. For example, when I open paint, the toolbars on the left and top are smaller than usual, when I open msn messenger, the window is smaller as well, when I open the start menu, it's smaller, the same goes for everything else.

I'm not sure if this is an unusual problem, or if there's any way to solve this, or if it was the windows update fault, or my own. I don't know what to do. Or maybe is this part of the "update"? Not that it's helping my eyes. Could it be a virus? Though it's kind of pointless, since that's all it did.

Is there any way to solve this problem? Please help, thank you guys again!

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You may want to check this out.