Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista/Network issue when using VPN

• Please log in to reply

dfb500

dfb500

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hello all, I have a home network configured with two PC's, one runs Vista, the other Win XP. I use the Vista machine daily to communicate remotely with my employer through a VPN connection. I have a networked drive mapped to one of the remote network servers and also have a hyperlink to the same location in IE. This has worked fine for 2 months.

Today, although I was succesfully logged into the remote network through VPN (I could access all other network resources, applications, etc.) the links that mapped to a specific server kept aborting because Windows coud not locate the network address.

First impression was that the server was down but for the heck of it I went to the XP machine and bingo, that hard link worked fine. So...the mystery, why can't Vista resolve this address anymore? Nothing has changed, the links are in the proper format \\server\loc\loc etc. (besides, they have worked for months). It can't be my network because the other PC still locates the server just fine. Also, I am able to ping the server from command line using the Vista machine.

Strange problem but anyone got any ideas or settings I can check?

TIA

David

Edited by dfb500, 10 March 2008 - 04:34 PM.

Advertisements

pcs365_11

pcs365_11

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Check all the ports are opened on router for your Vpn client.