Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer with vista

• Please log in to reply

jtg22

jtg22

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I received a new computer that runs on vista today and have been trying to figure out which firewalls, antispyware, antivirus, etc. to put on it. I've read the malware removal and prevention pages, but I did not see anything mentioned that dealt specifically with vista; xp was the main focus of a few points, however. So, is there anything that I will need to do with my computer before seriously using the internet?

Currently, I have installed zonealarm's free firewall, spybot search and destroy, the free avg virus scanner, and the free adaware program. I am also using firefox with noscript for my internet browser. Are there any other programs I should consider downloading? I remember the guides mentioning that multiple programs for the same function (i.e. multiple virus scanners) are beneficial since one may detect stuff that another wouldn't; however, the guides also said that multiple programs may weaken and/or fight with each other. So, currently, I'm not really sure what else to add?

Any thoughts? I'm sorry if these are somewhat simple questions.

thank you

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
You do not want more than one anti-virus program.
You also do not want more than one resident shield. (Spybot, superantispyware, windows defender, all have resident shields)
I use spybot, and AVG free on both of my Vista computers.
Security software is important, but safe browsing habits are just as important.