Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RECOVERING WORK

• Please log in to reply

pwncs

pwncs

• Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, IM NEW TO THIS WEBSITE BUT 4 A PROBLEM I HAD IT HELPED ME SO IM HOPING IT CAN HELP ME AGAIN.
THE PROBLEM IS THIS:
MY LAPTOP HAS SOFTWARE/VIRUSES ON IT AND NOTHING HAS WORKED TO GET RID OF THEM. I GOT TOLD 2 REFORMAT MY COMPUTER AS THE SOFTWARE IS ad.yeildmanager. I WAS GOING TO THAT. BUT I MADE A MISTAKE INSTEAD OF SAVING MY IMPORTANT DOCUMENTATIONS 4RM MY COMPUTER TO AN EXTERNAL HARDWARE I FAUGHT I WILL SAVE THEM INSTEAD ON A CD.
I DRAGED,AND CUT AND PASTED THE FOLDERS INTO THE CD MY COMPUTER WENT ALL WEIRD ON ME SO I FAUGHT I WILL RESTART MY COMPUTER AND TAKE OUT THE CD. TO MY HORROR I NEVER NEW THAT WE HAD 2 PRESS BURN IN ORDER FOR THEM 2 BE SAVED, AND YES U GUESSED IT WEN I TURNED ON MY COMPUTER AND PUT THE CD IN EVERYING WAS GONE AND THEY WERE NOT SAVED.
I HAVE TRYED EVERYFING TO GET THEM BACK AND NOTHING IS WORKING. I HAVE FOUND THEM IN RECENT ITEMS BUT AS SHORT CUTS. I WAS WONDERING IF SOME1 CAN PLEASE HELP ME GET THEM BACK AS I WANT TO REFORMAT MY COMPUTER SOON. PLEASE GIVE ME HOPE THAT I CAN GET THEM BACK.

Edited by pwncs, 01 April 2008 - 12:07 AM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Your files should still be on the computer.
The first thing that you need to do is get rid of the malware that is causing you problems.
Our experts in the malware forum can help you.
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

pwncs

pwncs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
k mate. sorry for the late reply but finally I have done what you told me to and here are my results:

IM SORRY BUT I WAS CONFUSED SO I SAVED THEM BOTH.
NOW THIS PART IS DONE CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME GET ALL MY STUFF BACK THAT I DELETED BY ACCIDENT.

Hijackthis log removed

Edited by Essexboy, 03 April 2008 - 03:14 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
I am not qualified to help you with the Hijackthis log.
Please go here and post your log.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
read this all before doing anything...

the safest way to recover data is to remove the drive and hook it to another computer that has the data recovery software installed on it...

About Data Recovery

When it comes to data recovery there are a lot of myths out there. People are recommending Scandisk or some 10 year old DOS utility as the most sophisticated data recovery tools.

most of what you hear about data recovery is not true..."Gone is gone!"

In most cases this just isn't the fact... Whatever happened to your data - whether files were accidentally deleted, a virus has wiped out the boot record, the drive was formatted or fdisk'ed or even if it is no longer recognized by the operating system, as long as it wasn't physically overwritten, the data which was on the drive is still there.

The files just aren't accessible anymore the way they should be. For example, if you delete a file, the file's data is not deleted from the drive, but instead a signature byte is set at the start of the file's file name. This signature byte tells the operating systems that this area can be overwritten by other data next. And that's exactly what happens. The next time you write something to the drive, the new data will be written to the so marked area. But this also means, that as long as nothing new is written to the drive, the data is still there, intact and can therefore be recovered.

This behavior is also the reason why trying to undelete single deleted files often isn't successful. When you delete a file -and you empty the recycle bin as well- as soon as you notice that you still need the file, chances are that you have done something in the meantime, that has overwritten the data area of the file.

Even in cases which seem the most radical - when you i.e. have formatted your drive from FAT32 to NTFS- and five minutes later realize that you didn't mean to format THIS drive, all of your files are still there. When you format a FAT32 drive, everything is destroyed (the boot record, the FAT, the root directory) except for the partition table and the data. And that's all you need! As long as the data's still there your files can be reconstructed - very often nearly perfectly.
"Installing this one program will not hurt..."

Yes it will! Never install or copy anything to the drive you want to recover data from.

try this to search for your lost files...use another computer to download and put the program on a floppy ...boot from the floppy by getting into the bios and setting the boot order to floppy first...then your cd/dvd drive ...then the hard drive

Restoration Download Restoration!
Restoration - Small, fast and Easy. No install but runs from Windows

Restoration is an easy to use and straight forward tool to undelete files that were removed from the recycle bin or directly deleted from within Windows. Upon start, you can scan for all files that may be recovered and also limit the results by entering a search term or extension.

In addition, Restoration also provides an option to wipe the found files beyond simple recovery. And as such it is not only a data-recovery tool but also a security cleanup application. You can use it to totally delete your files so that no recovery is possible.

The program is very small and completely stand-alone, it does not require installation and can also run from a Floppy disk. Restoration works with FAT and NTFS as well as digital cameras cards.
get it here..

a complete list of free file recovery tools here..

you may want to try Undelete Plus...got high ratings

Edited by happyrck, 03 April 2008 - 09:23 AM.

pwncs

pwncs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey mate. Thanks for the help. BUT I have a problem I downloaded the Restoration.exe and I put my memory card and my lost pictures I got them back BUT I tryed for my C drive whatever I would type in the search deleted files search nothing would work I tryed to write nothing maybe it would find everything in my c drive nothing works. I also downloaded the other two you have on this site but nothing seems to work. I was wondering if you could help me to get my work back using the Restoration maybe advice me on how to search for my files because that program is really good. Thank You

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what kind of files are you looking for...pictures try searching for .jpg .bmp .png ....for music try mp3 ...
for documents try .txt or .doc or .rtf

pwncs

pwncs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
THE PROBLEM IS WHAT EVER I SEEM TO TYPE IN THE SEARCH ENGINE NOTHING WORKS. I TRYED WHAT YOU TOLD ME TO AND ITS NOT WORKING I HAVE PRINTED SCREEN TO SHOW YOU WHAT I MEAN. I HAVE ATTACHED IT IN THIS FILE.
I AM JUST WONDERING DOES THAT MEAN THAT IT CAN NOT FIND ANYTHING MEANING EVERYTHING IS LOST OR I AM DOING SOMETHING WRONG.

Attached Thumbnails

• W0RK.jpg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING...
if your search for picture formats didn't turn up anything...they may have been overwritten and unrecoverable...

Edited by happyrck, 06 April 2008 - 12:40 AM.

pwncs

pwncs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hey thanks for replying back. May be your right BUT i used the other program File SCAVENGER and it found my missing files BUT for example the ones it found the pictures say no preview available. The file might be corrupt. DOES this mean that they are gone and no chance of me getting them back. I have enclosed a picture of what I am talking about. I faught if I press recover maybe it will recover it BUT the same problem it saves it but i cant see the picture. DOES THIS MEAN EVERYTHING IS GONE?

Attached Thumbnails

• recovery.jpg

Edited by pwncs, 06 April 2008 - 12:53 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how does it save it and where does it save it to...

pwncs

pwncs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It can not be saved in C drive because thats where the floders are it says you have to save it some where else so I save it in D drive. This is what it says if you save it in C drive. IT SAVES NORMALLY IN THE PLACE YOU CHOOSE. BUT THE PICTURE SAYS CORRUPT. PLEASE ADIVCE ME

Attached Thumbnails

• rec_1.jpg

Edited by pwncs, 06 April 2008 - 01:06 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is the D drive a 2nd hard drive or partition or your cd drive....try making a folder on your desktop...name it saved pics....tell it to save them there...if it saves them and you can't open them because they're corrupt them I afraid they are gone for good...

Edited by happyrck, 06 April 2008 - 06:56 AM.