Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista- can't log in as admnistrator on my pc

• Please log in to reply

dbfarm

dbfarm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently purchased a new pc from gateway with Vista Home. I set up myself as the admin. and then set up 3 other users. All of a sudden one day, I could not get access to admin. to authorize some changes. I also could not sign in to administrator. It give me the message"user profile service failed the logon, user profile cannot be loaded. I tried to read up on a bunch of things to try and have tried most of them. I tried going in to safe mode. When in safe mode, it wont let me log in as administrator but it did let me change the password. As soon as I go out of safe mode though, it kept the new password change but still wont let me login to administrator.
I now cannot make any changes at all or basically do anything. Because its always asking for authorization to do it. Since the computer is fairly new. I have continued to use my old computer and not store anything on it. Because I am afraid the only solution may be that I have to uninstall vista and start over. Please tell me there is a better solution. Thank you.
Specs:
Intel processor Core 2 Duo E440 2.0 ghz, 800
500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA ll/300 hard drive
2048MB PC5300 DDR2 667 MHZ SDRAM
Microsoft Window Vista Home

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Did you turn UAC off?
Vista will deny administrator rights if UAC is turned off.
Vista "hides" the real administrator account from you.
Even though you log in as an Admin with the account you have, it has limits. This is something Vista did to protect you from yourself. In other words, you don't have full administrator priveleges.
You can log on as a full admin a few different ways. One way is to simply unhide the true admin logon in a cmd.
click the start menu.
In the bottom search bar type cmd (don't hit enter)
cmd will show in the list on top .. right click on it and click to run as administrator
the command panel will open
type this command exactly as it appears here.. or just copy and paste it in the cmd panel
net user administrator /active:yes
hit enter and it should tell you it completed successfully.
close the cmd panel and log off of windows.
When you log back on you should have a new Admin log on.
Log on as admin and try to run your program that way.

It might be a good idea to keep your regular user logon and use that for normal functioning.
You might also want to create a password for the admin logon and only use that for technical purposes.

dbfarm

dbfarm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the help. I did all of this and it let me set up a new admin password,etc. And I can log in as admin. But if I try to make changes on the other user accounts. The box comes up for the admin to put in password. When I do this, it cycles and just comes back to that box. So I still cannot make any changes or do anything.