Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee unistall..Google sidebar and more doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

Risje

Risje

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have Vista Ultimate on my Dell XPS 1530. 2 Days ago i unistallled McAfee with the removal tool. Directly after i did this and restarted my laptop i got a notice that google sidebar gadgets couldn't be loaded. I reinstalled the sidebar but have the same problems. I can add some of the gadgets but the ones i use, like weather and google calendar won't load.

But that is not all. I can't acces my mail via MSN messenger anymore. I can't view video's on the net (windows media player vid's). I wanted to download McAfee again but the download wouldn't start and the last problem i have encountered up till now is that i tried to install McAfee again using the reinstall cd and it can't open the cd proparly. It opens a window with 2 lines and two buttons named "label" and "label".

I have no idea what to do but i'm really annoyed that this happend straight after using the removal tool. I would love to hear if anyone has any solutions cause i'm not in the mood to redo my whole laptop.

I have contacted McAfee but they can't help me any further than running a windows repair, but i can't cause i haven't made a backup yet. My laptop is really new.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Risje, 04 April 2008 - 09:18 AM.

Advertisements

JDLT

JDLT

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have heard of similar problems so here are a variety of options - Hope one of them works for you

Make sure all traces of any McAfee products are off your comp (use Search and manually delete them). Some apps have problems installing when there are remnant root files and other fragments of previous installations on your comp (Windows doesn't always delete everything)

Try and reinstall using the CD

If it won't work then go to My Computer and right click on the CD (E:/)

Click Open

Search the Folders for icons like Setup.exe or Autorun.exe

Double click these and try to install it this way

2. Try installing a new internet security system (I suggest Kaspersky)

3. If you have any security systems on your computer then the reason the side bar and other internet reliant apps aren't working is because the firewall of your OS is conflicting with the firewall of your internet security app
You need to turn the firewall of your internet security (don't worry the Vista one will work fine). If any Warning or "Are You Sure" popups appear then click yes or just close them

4. Make sure Firefox is your default interent program

5. Make sure that it isn't just the site that you are on - if u can't view images on multiple sites then make sure you have the latest Flash and Quicktime plugins

Edited by JDLT, 13 April 2008 - 12:07 PM.