Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Passwords and keyloggers

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I can understand having a password of mixed up characters so that it not obviously your dog's, daughter's name or birthdate etc. but surely to a keylogger it doesn't matter how complicated it is configuered as any key is logged. The computer values each character equally, surely.

Am I wrong about this? Advice please.

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Well, you are right about this. A keylogger doesn't mind if the password is long or short, complicated or easy to break. The computer does value each character equally.

Do you need any help with removing keyloggers? If so, I suggest you visit the malware forum.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Landlord: Thanks for that - not in need of keylogger help (I hope) - just a query to keep my passwords relatively easy.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Easy for you = easy for someone else.

The_More_You_Know.jpg

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

A good way to trick a keylogger (if a system has one, or if you're unsure) is to use the delete function. By that, add an extra character within your password, and once your complete password is entered (with extra character), then navigate the cursor back and delete it before hitting the "enter" button.

A keylogger will capture all of your keyboard character inputs - wrong character included! But of course, you deleted it, so your password will be correct when you sign in...

Cheers

Troy

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Interesting idea but won't the keylogger 'understand' the deletes?

Edited by Plutox, 09 April 2008 - 08:15 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

The point specifically for this to work is this: A keylogger follows keyboard movements - but not mouse movements. So by using your mouse to position the cursor and then delete the incorrect character (to finally obtain a correct password), the keylogger will end up with the wrong jumble. :)

Cheers

Troy