Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

INTERNET ACCESS

• Please log in to reply

hammond user

hammond user

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am running a new router Belkin, currently i have two laptops and 1 desktop (all xp) connected with no issues. I have a new machine running home vista. I can connect to the router both wirleless and by cable but am no getting any internet. Does any body have any ideas how to resolve this?
the ip settings etc are set for auto

Advertisements

JDLT

JDLT

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, Hammond, I had the same problem

I have a Vigor 2600G wireless router, and it seemed to work for a while then it would just bug out.

Did u experience of these issues?

-Simply wouldn't connect
-Only connected to local but not to internet
- When u try and see what the problem is all Vista says is something about a LAN cable, unknown connectivity issue or unknown problem
-U tried turning the internet router/connection on and off but to no avail
-You reset the wireless option under Internet Networks Option (my OS is in German so to translations of the sub menus might be a bit off srry.) but that didn't do anything
-Sometimes it would randomly work after one reboot or like 20

Anyway what the problem most likely is a confrontation between the firewall of your OS and the firewall of your internet security app.

I have Kaspersky but the following steps should work for Norton as well (for Norton u might have to look around before you find the firewall options - but once there you just have to disable it)

1. Open the icon on the bottom right corner of the bottom bar (where the digital clock and sound options are)
2. Click on Settings
3. On the menu on the left click on Anti-Hacker
4. Click on Enable Firewall box so that there is no check mark in the box
5. If any warning or "Are you Sure?" pop ups come up just click Yes or close them
-Save settings (Click Ok or enable)
6. Make sure your Firewall (OS one) is on
Click Start
-System Contol
-Safety (the one with the shield divided into four sections)
-Look for Windows Firewall (should be first one) - (underneath there should be an option which says something to the effect of Turn Firewall on/off
-Click on that link
-If that sub option isn't there then click on "Safety Center" and look for Firewall and make sure it is on

Hope this helps