Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will turning off Aero make a big difference for my computer?

• Please log in to reply

lem.rar

lem.rar

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
My computer specs are:
RAM: 2gb
Proccesor: 2.39GHz
GFXCard: 512mb Nvidia Geforce 8500

I'm a big multi-tasker. I'll be surfing the web, listening to music, torrenting, IMing and maybe one other thing all at once. There are currently 0 user-installed programs on startup. My question is, will there be any noticable changes by disabling Aero?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!
It depends how powerful your video-card is. If it "only just" meets the minimum spec for Aero Glass then disabling Aero will improve graphics performance in other areas. But on systems which easily meet the minimum spec, disabling Aero could actually have a negative effect on performance.

One other point, disabling Aero on a laptop will allow the battery to last longer before it needs recharging.

Edited by pip22, 19 April 2008 - 04:12 AM.

lem.rar

lem.rar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Welcome to Geeks2Go!
It depends how powerful your video-card is. If it "only just" meets the minimum spec for Aero Glass then disabling Aero will improve graphics performance in other areas. But on systems which easily meet the minimum spec, disabling Aero could actually have a negative effect on performance.

One other point, disabling Aero on a laptop will allow the battery to last longer before it needs recharging.

Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3400+ 4.2
Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB 4.4
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 4.4
Gaming graphics 1278 MB Total available graphics memory 5.1
Primary hard disk 133GB Free (186GB Total) 5.3

Overall 4.2.

I'm not sure if that is well over, or well under :)

Dellica

Dellica

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
It is definatly not a bad system, plenty of ram on there and a solic graphical card. The only problem that their might be is that your video memory might be shared with your normal memory or in other words your computer might be sharing its working memory with the graphical card.

If that's the case, you'll propably be in a pickle for gaming.

However, seeing the scores above you shouldn't have a problem with Aero being on and afaik aero turns itself off and on whenever you load a grahical high-end program or game.

lem.rar

lem.rar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

It is definatly not a bad system, plenty of ram on there and a solic graphical card. The only problem that their might be is that your video memory might be shared with your normal memory or in other words your computer might be sharing its working memory with the graphical card.

If that's the case, you'll propably be in a pickle for gaming.

However, seeing the scores above you shouldn't have a problem with Aero being on and afaik aero turns itself off and on whenever you load a grahical high-end program or game.

Yeah my video card has 512mb.
Thanks for the info.