Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet Driver Missing?

• Please log in to reply

TFPoG

TFPoG

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just got a new computer with Home Premium on it; I have a disc for Ultimate, so once I did the initial setup for Premium, turned the computer off, inserted the disc and had the disc wipe the old Vista and replace it with Ultimate. Got everything set up for Ultimate, and I went to connect to the Internet to install my drivers for everything, but I couldn't get on. I didn't know there was a driver for Ethernet itself...Using help, it told me to open Device Manager and go to Network adapters and then goes further with more steps, but Network adapters isn't even an option in the list. So I'm kind of stuck with what to do here. In Device Manager, there's an option for Ethernet Controller under Other devices if that has anything to do with it. Please let me know if there's any other information needed. Thanks!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

"Ethernet Controller" is the device which you plug your router/modem into for networking & internet access. Commonly called a "Network Card". This does need a driver. The fact that the entry is listed under "Other Devices" indicates that it's driver is not installed. If it was, it would be shown instead under "Network Adapters" by it's actual make & model (eg 'Realtek RTLxxx Family Fast Ethernet NIC', or something similar). Without the driver Windows doesn't know what brand or model it is, hence it won't work.

Please run "Belarc Advisor" and post it's system info report to us so we can help you further.
Belarc Advisor: http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Edited by pip22, 25 April 2008 - 01:59 AM.

TFPoG

TFPoG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Fixed it.

Edited by TFPoG, 28 April 2008 - 08:52 PM.