Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help...Vista Hardly Functions

• Please log in to reply

divrdrew

divrdrew

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Let me try to sum up what's going on. Hijack This log posted below.

Purchased new Toshiba U205-S5067 laptop couple months back. Core 2 duo running at 2 ghz with 4gb RAM. Running Vista Business (clean install and completely updated with all updated hardware drivers and SP1). Above average user (build own systems, troubleshoot, 28 years as PC hobbyist). Normally I never submit to defeat, but just can't figure this one out. New to Vista, very comfortable with XP.

Had Office 2007 on it, but system kept freezing up when I ran Outlook. Other than that, system ran fine. No lags, other office components functioned fine. Searched high and low, couldn't find any solutions.

Uninstalled that and installed Office 2003 Pro. Ran SP3 standalone update (from MSFT.com).

Now my system barely functions. When I got it to respond, I ran What's RUnning 2.2 and find that svchost is pretty much 100% all the time and really never drops (had the windows update exe below it). Every time I shut down, I can't do it through the start menu, but have to do it using my start button.

Did a lenghty search and found a fix by stopping Windows Update. Wouldn't stop until I rebooted...
System seems to be more stable so I tried to run windows update again. Never finished searching for updates so I stopped it. Now, same thing is happening but under svchost.exe there are three instances of taskeng.exe with nothing under them and one instance with MpCmdRun.exe under it. CPU usage still very high, mostly 100% and rarely drops below 90%.

When I reboot, sometimes I'll get a few minutes of usage before the CPU spike happens. Now I'm at around 10 minutes and counting and the CPU spike hasn't happened yet.

Been running anti-spyware and anit-virus since day 1 so don't think it's one of those.

Apologies if in wrong forum. Don't think its a malware issue, but a Vista issue.

Please help...my new laptop is pretty much only useful as a doorstop right now.

Begin Hijack This Log Here -----------------------------------------------------

Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   9.71KB   143 downloads

Advertisements