Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extend partiton - BitLocker files missing?

• Please log in to reply

deudonne

deudonne

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi there.

Im trying to extend my c: drive partition from 117gb to 240gb on a 500gb hard drive with about 350gb unallocated space using vista's computer/disk manager.

I would use my paragon partiton manager, but last time i used it, it rendered a partiton 'invalid'

When i try to extend the partition i get the error message: 'critical bitlocker drive encryption system files are not available. Use windows startup repair to restore files'

I used windows startup reapir from the vista install disk, but it found no problems and hasnt chenged the situation.

I need more space on c: - hence the resize.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
D

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello deudonne !

If you are talking about boot or system partitions © there are restrictions on those partitions i.e. no reformatting, no deleting and so on.

Maybe a third party software can do the trick if you want to risk it !

Regards,

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
have you used bitlocker to encrypt your hard drive?

Take a look at this and see if this article is of any help.

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
It was my main system/boot partition (same thing?)

I hadnt used bitlocker to encrypt hard drive

When I go to bitlocker in control panel it says that i dont have TPM.
Does my mother board Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe have a TPM chip?

However - i did take the risk and used paragon partition manager to resize my system partition and it worked - so problem solved, but thank-you for your suggestions.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
glad to hear that it's resolved. Chances are that your system doesn't have TPM. That is a special chip that resides on the system board and is used for encryption. If you hadn't encrypted I would have suggested a few more things, but since it's working all is good.

cheers,