Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't View My Documents

• Please log in to reply

JBorunda

JBorunda

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just bought a new computer and put a couple things in the My Documents folder. But now when I try to view them, my computer just freezes up. then I get the message saying "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working". I want to know how I can fix this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

Welcome to GTG. Have you upgraded to SP1? Or did it come with SP1? What are the system specs.

Cheers,
Mak

JBorunda

JBorunda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It came with SP1. As for the system specs, I don't get what you mean.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello JBorunda...

This can happen when thumbnail view is enabled and you have some very large or corrupt media files in the folder.

Click Start, then All Programs, then Accessories, and click on "Run". In the "Open" field, type explorer and click "Ok". In the Windows Explorer window, click on the "Organize" button on the toolbar and choose "Folder and Search Options". Click on the "View" tab. In the Advanced Settings list, put a tick in the box next to the "Always show icons, never thumbnails" option. Apply the change and reboot.

Try opening the My Documents folder.

Let us know if this resolves the issue.

wannabe1

JBorunda

JBorunda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the advice wannabe1. It works fine now.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to lend a hand... :)