Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformat of laptop

• Please log in to reply

tom_george

tom_george

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi guys,

Have read one of the how to guides on reformatting and reinstalling Windows XP. I'm guessing its similar on Vista. However I have a few questions. My laptop, a Sony Vaio, came pre-installed with lots of garbage like a Sony Vaio media centre that I really don't want on my laptop. If I was to reformat, would it restore my laptop to factory settings with the garbage still present, or would it be wiped completely clean? If it is wiped completely clean, I believe I have some sort on disc from Sony with installation/back-up stuff on it so that I can reload Windows back on to the laptop, but would this not re-install all the media stuff that I want to be rid of?

Also, how on Earth can I stop "Desktop Window Manager.exe" from running at startup? It takes my laptop nearly five minutes to settle to a usable state and I've tried searching for it on the net but I got nothing comprehensive.

Many thanks in advance

Tom

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Make backups before doing anything.

If you have the Vista OS disk it would just load Vista, your Sony with disk with
installation/backup would most likely put the computer back the way it was when
it was new, not sure you will have to read what the disk say’s. Another way would
be to just uninstall what you don’t want.
There is a program called WinPatrol freeware that you can get from filehippo.com

http://filehippo.com...rch?q=winpatrol

After you have installed it, open it go to Startup Programs, from there you can disable
programs you don’t want to be loaded at startup.

Dwight