Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Firewall

• Please log in to reply

fairdinato

fairdinato

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
For some reason, every time I turn on my acer laptop/turn on the internet my Windows Firewall turns off and I need to turn it back on manually. It stays on when my internet connection is active but when it cuts off or whatever the firewall turns off and I need to activate it again through the security settings. It is getting very annoying as I want the firewall to stay on all the time.

I'm running windows Vista. I do not have any other firewall programs. I have completely removed Norton off of my system (I think) and I have run adaware and spybot to no avail so am out of ideas.

Any help?

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Is it set to manual in Services? Take a look because Norton's may have set it to disabled or manual.

Type services.msc in the start box, click on the little gear icon to bring up 'services'. Scroll down to see what it's settings are by right clicking the line, then choose properties. Set the 'startup type' to automatic.

Also, did you remove Norton/Symantec with the removal tool, or just uninstall it via Programs and Features?

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Is it set to manual in Services? Take a look because Norton's may have set it to disabled or manual.

It' set to automatic already

Also, did you remove Norton/Symantec with the removal tool, or just uninstall it via Programs and Features?

Yeah I used the removal tool, that's why I'm so confused! Cheers for your response.

Edited by fairdinato, 24 July 2008 - 04:38 AM.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Have you scanned for viruses and/or spyware? Some malware will disable your firewall as well as your antivirus.

Here are a couple of good scanners:
Antispyware ---> SuperAntispyware (free version) http://www.superantispyware.com/
Antivirus online scan ---> http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

Edited by Jacee, 24 July 2008 - 07:20 PM.