Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista 32 bit vs 64 bit

• Please log in to reply

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
I recently purchased a laptop (XPS 1530) with a t9300 processor (2.5 ghz, 6mb of cache) and 4 gigs of ram, NVidia 8600GT...I originally had a 32 bit version of Vista installed on it, but I decided I wanted to unleash the full 4 gigs of RAM and thus installed the 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate.

My only beef now is that a lot of the crap doesnt work on the machine! I know most drivers are still 64 bit compatible, yet some of the laptop functions (like the fingerprint reader) fails to even register its drivers nor contain any software currently on the online world that would support it.

I'm just looking to get the opinions of some other hardware/software guys/gals to see what's your take on if 32 bit is still the better option even in today's market for our computers...I'm just sitting on the fence whether to go back to the 32 bit version of Ultimate or stay at the 64 bit!

Cheers :)

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
when you went to x64, did you do a fresh install of the o/s? did you get the system restore cd from dell for x64?

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts
it was a fresh install of the software I had, not from a system restore disk from dell

joelg88

joelg88

• Pip
  • 5 posts
make sure you installed 64bit drivers and not 32bit

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
being that it's not the system restore disk, then you will have to hunt down the right drivers from dells website. Either that or request the x64 restore cd from dell.