Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is wireless internet "safe"?

• Please log in to reply

bufalo

bufalo

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I imagine this is the wrong forum, but couldn't see where to put it. I use VISTA so it's the closest I can find.

I have a laptop with wireless internet. I just turn it on and am connected so it isn't my personal connection. Would something like this be safe? Or can people see/steal my stuff?

thanks!!

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
If this is your network, and you are using a secured network, it is safe.
Please read this tutorial on networking.
You will have to scroll down to get to the part about wireless networking.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Use the strongest encryption available, with the older encryption type it is possible to obtain software to intercept the signal. In some areas the software is legal, using it to intercept wireless signals is illegal.

However the other thing is if you're connecting to a wireless network that isn't yours, then again in a lot of jurisdictions this is effectively computer misuse and therefore illegal.

silent_n0va

silent_n0va

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
On its own, it isn't that safe as there are all kinds of potential security holes in wireless networks. I'd set up a VPN to encrypt your connection or stick to ethernet.