Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Touchpad scrolling doesn't work.

• Please log in to reply

Daboa

Daboa

• Pip
  • 5 posts
When I run my finger along the side of my touchpad, it doesn't scroll. My mouse just moves. It used to scroll, but it doesn't anymore and I no longer see an option for it in the mouse properties/settings. I've had this problem for a while, but usually use an external mouse, so I haven't dealt with it. Now I'd really like it to work and I have no idea what to do. Control Panel>Mouse doesn't help. Any other suggestions?

I just updated my Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad driver. I have version 11.1.18.0 dated at 6/20/08.

Toshiba Satellite A215-s4747
AMD Turion 64 X2 1.8 GHZ
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1200
Windows Vista Home Premium

Advertisements

deathninja

deathninja

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
There is likely a viable software solution, so this may seem a bit violent and take it with a grain of salt.

Uninstall the bloated pointer software.

Turn off the computer and pop out the keyboard, disconnecting it from the mother board. You should be able to see a ribbon from your pointer to the motherboard, disconnect that too.

Start the computer back up, if your bios barks at you plug in a USB keyboard to get past the keyboard error.

Let Windows boot naturally, then shut it down.

Put everything back together.

Turn the computer back on and reinstall the bloat pointer software. Should do the trick.

Or you could use an external mouse :)

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Troubleshooting:
http://www.synaptics...bleshooting.cfm

Daboa

Daboa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The troubleshooting from the Synaptics website didn't help, but thanks.

I don't know how to take a laptop's keyboard off and it scares me a bit to think about trying. I also don't know how I would do anything on my computer if I uninstalled the touchpad's driver (don't you need it for the touchpad to work?).

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Get a normal mouse for now, if your laptop has no PS/2 port, get a USB mouse, uninstall the touchpad driver, then goto the touchpad makers site, download the driver and install it again, restart and your problem may be fixed

Also this happens on my vista laptop every now and then, but a reboot normally fixes it for mine.

Edited by stupidhomer, 25 August 2008 - 11:41 AM.

_The_Nothing_

_The_Nothing_

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
that happens on my laptop once in awhile so I go to "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP" and run SynTPStart from there and it usually fixes it at least that works for me

juliu45

juliu45

• Pip
  • 1 posts

When I run my finger along the side of my touchpad, it doesn't scroll. My mouse just moves. It used to scroll, but it doesn't anymore and I no longer see an option for it in the mouse properties/settings. I've had this problem for a while, but usually use an external mouse, so I haven't dealt with it. Now I'd really like it to work and I have no idea what to do. Control Panel>Mouse doesn't help. Any other suggestions?

I just updated my Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad driver. I have version 11.1.18.0 dated at 6/20/08.

Toshiba Satellite A215-s4747
AMD Turion 64 X2 1.8 GHZ
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1200
Windows Vista Home Premium

Hi guys,

I had the same problem with a Toshiba U500 1E0. I'm not sure if it is going to work for you but in my case i solved the problem by following these steps:

note: My OS is in french so i made a traduction, probably it is going to be a little different from a american version

1) Go to the mouse setting on the control panel.
2) Go to the device settings tab (it should be the 6th tab)
3) Click on the setting button.
4) Click scroll -> Scroll 1 finger -> scrolling zone
5) Adjust the scrolling area on the rigth side of the pad to be a little bit wider.
6) Apply, and if you are lucky like me it'll work :)

Bye

ersatz

ersatz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
juliu45,

Hopefully this person has already fixed his issue.. (as it took place nearly a year and a half ago..) :)

-Tony

SatelliteGuy

SatelliteGuy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Daboa,

Your post was a couple years ago now, so you've probably long since figured this out, but for anyone else with a Satellite A215 with similar symptoms, I'll post what worked for me. My easy solution was to revert to the original driver.

I'd go crazy without touchpad scrolling, so this was a learning experience.

Like you, I had also just upgraded from Vista to 7. Fortunately, I had experienced something similar a couple months back (when I still had Vista) when I tried updating my drivers. After the driver update, the scrolling feature on the touch pad wouldn't work. I immediately reverted to the original driver (ALPS Pointing Device, Version 7.0.301.4) and it worked fine again. It almost seems like the Synaptics driver (the one I updated to) doesn't support scrolling, though how that can be, I don't know. Seems impossible.

After installing Windows 7 I purposely downloaded all the current drivers from Toshiba (Toshiba provides a handy "Toshiba Software Installer" for just such a purpose. Link here, or just Google it). Everything else was working fine, but the scrolling function on the touch pad wouldn't work again. When I looked in Control Panel, Device Manager, I found the Synaptics touchpad driver. I immediately downloaded and installed the ALPS driver from the Toshiba website and the scrolling feature worked fine again. I recall having to reboot a couple times, once to install the ALPS driver, another time to uninstall the Synaptics one.

At least on my computer, I never could find any kind of control panel for the touch pad, where you can control all the settings for tapping in the corners, scrolling (swiping) along the left or right, top or bottom, etc. The ALPS device seems to have just such a control panel, which is really handy. In Windows 7, you can find it by going to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Mouse. Click the Advanced tab, then Advanced Feature Settings button. Select the Touchpad tab, and you can then customize all the characteristics of your touchpad. When I had the Synaptics driver installed, I never could find such a feature, no matter how hard I looked in the same places. Odd.

It seems like different driver manufacturers may or may not include a dialog window where you can control the touch pad's settings. So, depending on what driver one is using, getting to the touch pad control panel may be different than described here.

Good luck!

Edited by SatelliteGuy, 11 March 2011 - 01:16 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good advice SatelliteGuy and thank you for sharing it with us here. I'm sure it will help someone in the future. :D

Daboa

Daboa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I know this is late, but this worked for me! Thanks a lot! Funny story... Today (after 3 years) I finally decided to try again to solve this issue. I came upon this thread and didn't notice it had been started by me until you mentioned Daboa in your post. Who would have thought I would have gotten the solution 3 years later from a 2-year-late post. Thanks!