Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Exceedingly Odd Phenomenon

• Please log in to reply

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
So yesterday, my family went up to New Hampshire to enjoy the beaches. We got there right when the tide was lowering, and when we left the tide was the lowest. As we were leaving, we noticed large amounts of water flowing from the seaweed into the ocean. Upon closer observation, there were actually these holes in the sand that were bubbling up copious amounts of water - indeed, when I stuck my finger into one of them, it was actually a hole - no sand there. I dug for about 4 inches, but found absolutely nothing.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Was it salt water or fresh bubbling up?

Edited by Major Payne, 01 September 2008 - 09:06 PM.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
No offense, but I didn't really care to taste it :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Smelling it would have been enough.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
I'm having quite a hard time imagining what you're describing. So since it's a lowtide, the seaweeds are already exposed? And water is flowing out from them (the holes) where the seaweeds are?

Maybe they're habitats of some sea creature/s? :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
ditrackster: that's basically it.

I didn't really smell it either.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I’m not 100% percent sure about this, but I will give it a shot.

You said when you first got there the tide was lowering, its typical for a tide to change 2.5 times a day, so I would guess you and your family stayed quite some time before you left for the day.

So my guess is that the tide was changing witch would refill any whole left in the sand weather its a habitat, whole from a rock, or seaweed thus expelling air (bubbles) or water up through the holes for several seconds.

Now if you stood there and watched it for 30+ minutes my theory would not be correct :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Because the tide was lower, the higher water went down... it just had an "obstacle course" to get there... (thus slowing it)