Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No internet connection - tcp/ip address and vista

• Please log in to reply

postce

postce

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Last night I tried to load Avast again onto my laptop and something happened and now I can't get on my internet. I know it is my laptop and not the internet as I'm on the internet on another computer. The IP address is starting with a "169." instead of a "192." according to our internet provider. So something is wrong with the IP address. It is recognizing that there is a wireless connection, but it isn't connecting. Under activity it shows no packets are being received. I've searched this problem, and NOTHING has helped. I did a system restore too and nothing! Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Postce

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Please
  • click the start button.
  • Select control panel.
  • Open Internet options.
  • Select connections.
  • Select LAN settings.
  • Select automaticly detect settings.
Please post back if this works or not.

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I tried it and it didn't work.

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I don't know if this helps too, but my internet connectivity says "local only" or "limited connectivity". So frustrating! Thanks again for any help!

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
FYI...I fixed this on my own. Apparently Norton Antivirus could have had something to do with my problems. I finally was able to uninstall it, then in the "run" window I typed ipconfig all - and viola! It was fixed. I installed Kapersky and have had no problems since.