Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Software for Linux Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

AndrewC3

AndrewC3

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I finally installed Ubuntu 7.10 on an old computer. I know, 8.10 is available. Anyway, is there any place I can go to on the web that I can purchase software for this OS? An example would be programs like Quicken, Photoshop etc. that can be installed and used on Ubuntu. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Have a look at http://www.linuxalt.com/ . There alternatives to most Windows programs for Linux and most are free. If you find a program you like and use a lot, make a donation to the project. The developers, that usually do the programming in their spare time, will be grateful.

I would Install the Ubuntu 8.04 if you like Ubuntu. It's a Long Term Support(LTS) version. Most *buntu versions are supported for about eighteen months while the LTS is supported for up to five years.

AndrewC3

AndrewC3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
As of matter of fact Silverbeard, that is the site I remember going to a few months ago. A friend of mine told me about the Linux O/S from a customer and at the time, I really didn't understand it (Linux). Since then, I bought a new laptop that has Windows XP Professional on it. The old computer is something to toy around with. Anyway, thanks for the link. I was going nuts trying find it on my own.

Andrew

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
One of the good things about *buntu is it has one of the largest repositories of applications. Most of the software you could want are already compiled and packaged and available from the repositories. Other packages can be found from other repositories or if not packaged you can have some fun compiling the program from source code.

For programs you just can't find an alternative to there is always WINE (check the data base to see if the app has been tested) or a virtual machine can be set up to run Windows inside of Linux.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Check out "gimp" for a photoshop type program.

If you have enough memory, you can run VirtualBox for a nice virtual machine.