Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it true i can use a USB drive for more ram in vista?!?

• Please log in to reply

fix23

fix23

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hey i heard that i can use a USB drive and use it as ram on my computer with vista? is this true? and how do i do so? and am i harming my USB drive or computer by doing so? also i have a couple PSP memory sticks, could i use them as computer RAM aswell? and will it harm it?

thanks so much

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Please read this article from Microsoft about ready boost.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I'd argue this is at best a temporary solution to a Vista computer that doesn't have enough memory in the first place.

Speed wise, nothing will beat giving a computer enough physical memory. If you find you have to use USB sticks to supplement the computer you really should consider putting more in. Flash Media has a finite life - it'll eventually wear out. A physical stick of memory shifts an obscene amount of data every second and should last a computer or three, the decent stuff anyway.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Ready boost does not use a flash drive as RAM,
It is more like a solid state page file.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Ready boost does not use a flash drive as RAM,
It is more like a solid state page file.

Flash memory may be faster than hard drives but as I said above, nothing will ever beat adding more physical memory.