Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I reinstall Vista OEM after upgrading my motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

Triskaidekaphobia

Triskaidekaphobia

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I built my current computer from scratch and bought Vista Home Premium OEM with the components.
I have now bought an upgraded motherboard and CPU.
Before I format my hard disk and reinstall Vista with the new motherboard/CPU, I thought I should double-check that I will be able to install Vista again.
Technically, the OEM license doesn't allow the software to be installed on "more than one system", but what exactly constitutes "a system"? Only the motherboard and CPU will change, nothing else - but does the new motherboard mean that it is a new system?
I will not be running two computers with the same Vista product key, only one.
Basically, will it allow me to activate Vista using the same product key, but on the new installation?

Many thanks

Edited by Triskaidekaphobia, 29 October 2008 - 02:58 PM.

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
You'll be able to install Vista with a new mobo but you'll only be able to activate it by telephone, at which point you can explain that you've changed the mobo and they should give you a new activation code.

You can determine how to contact the appropriate regional Microsoft Product Activation Center by selecting the Activate by Telephone option in the Product Activation Wizard when you install a Microsoft product that requires activation. When you select your country or your region, the appropriate telephone number will be displayed.

How to access the Product Activation Wizard
If the Product Activation Wizard is not open, follow these steps to start the wizard:
Windows Vista

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click Computer.
3. Select Properties.
4. Click 'Activate Windows'.

Triskaidekaphobia

Triskaidekaphobia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK thanks. I just didn't want to get to a situation where I was forced to buy another copy of Windows.