Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! New Local Disk Drive? Unwanted!

• Please log in to reply

Brandon93s

Brandon93s

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Not sure which section to post this in, so i have posted it in the vista section as that is the operating system i am running.

I am generally speaking very tech savvy when it comes to using a computer, however recently when i went into my computer there is an additional "local disk" (H:\) that was not there before, and through further investigation is empty with 0bytes of storage space. When i double click to open it, i get an error message: "H:\ refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on...."

Posted Image

My question is HOW do i get rid of this useless drive the seems to have just shown up! It isn't affecting my computer but its very bothersome. Thanks for any help in advanced. biggrin3.gif

The only new software i have used is Daemon Tools, to mount a disc. In the picture below that virtual drive is disabled so it isn't showing up but could this be a result??

Posted Image

C: is my regular local disk
D: is HP's recovery partition
E: my laptops internal drive
F: jump/flash drive running readyboost (vista)
G: external burner
H: My Problem!!!!!! The mysterious drive that has shown up. Notice the "?"

I hope i have provided enough information to receive some answers biggrin3.gif thanks everyone.

Incase the photos mess up:

http://i115.photobuc...xixdiex/1-2.jpg
http://i115.photobuc...xixdiex/2-1.jpg

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, Have you installed any new programs, like MagicDisc?
Some programs add a ghost drive (Virtual CD/DVD-ROM )
to you computer that only they use.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight, 05 November 2008 - 09:30 PM.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
This problem could have been caused by daemon tools creating a virtual cd drive, but somehow turned it into a virtual hard drive, try un-installing daemon tools and see if it removes the H:\ drive,