Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Features and Chaanges

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Microsoft's new OS code named Windows 7 currently in build 6801 (for users) presents some new features and increased security along with a polished UAC. Overall it is like Vista Enhanced. Let me show you some of the new features:

Explorer:

Microsoft is introducing a new taskbar in Windows 7, some call it the Superbar, by default it comes disabled in build 6801 but ca be enabled. This new taskbar provides an easy way to access running programs and features the ability to pin programs to the taskbar, also programs are now represented by their icons and not their name.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, hidden programs do not extend to the side anymore but rather show in a small window. Also notice the small rectangle on the right? When clicked it minimizes all the windows to show the desktop.

Posted Image

UAC:

One of vista features, UAC (User Account Control) was either a loved feature or a hated one. It asked the user for permission to do everything. In Windows 7 Microsoft made UAC less intrusive, only asking permission to install programs. To run programs that make changes to the system it is necessary to run the program as an administrator by right clicking>Run as Administrator. UAC can be set to different settings for different protection levels.
Posted Image

Ribbon Interface:

Microsoft is implementing its ribbon interface in more programs that are built into the Operating System. Paint and Wordpad now have Ribbon interfaces.

Posted Image

Posted Image

WMP12:

Windows 7 includes Windows Media Player 12 instead of 11. WMP12 features a GUI change and still has some bugs as it is still in Beta changes. WMP12 integrates into the new Taskbar to provide Play/Pause, Forward and Backwards controls as well as mute.

Posted Image

These are some of the main changes in Windows 7. In my opinion Microsoft seems to be doing a great job on 7, mainly focusing on fixing the errors they made on Vista. By the looks of this Build it looks like Microsoft will be able to make the deadline, which is currently Late 2009 or early 2010. We can expect the first Beta build in Early 2009.

-OCM770

Advertisements

Gel214th

Gel214th

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
If it doesn't run faster than Vista these changes all seem to be cosmetic. I haven't heard about any major performance benefits except a few seconds off the startup times.
I haven't read about anything to really excite me about this new OS. There's no new file system, graphics subsystem etc.
Does it use less resources? Does it run faster? Is it more secure out the box?

I have heard complaints that Microsoft is making the user interface too Mac-Like. In my view that would be a good thing, but from what I am actually seeing of Windows 7, MAC Os still looks better and more accessible.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

If it doesn't run faster than Vista

Is your Vista slow, or...what do you mean by the above?

Gel214th

Gel214th

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I find File Copying is slow, even with Service Pack 1.

Generally, my Xp install just feels..errm..Snappier ?
:-)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I agree, file copying IS slow. Other than that, I like Vista.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Seems faster than my OEM Vista installation, and it is safer than Vista as most Vista virus; don't work on 7 (at least one didnt on mine :) ).

Other than that well this is the first build users can install and it looks promissing so i have my hopes up

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I installed Avast on Windows 7; works fine.
I tried Comodo, but it didn't want to install.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

I installed Avast on Windows 7; works fine.
I tried Comodo, but it didn't want to install.

Yeah i ran into that issue, you have to run it as Vista under compatibility mode and as an Administrator, it will install and work fine then

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Aha. I think, it's so obvious, I didn't think about it....LOL
I'll try tonight.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I had a heck of a time with installing Comodo.
Installation was getting stuck during AV database update. When I canceled, after restart, AV part of Comodo Security was not installed.
I tried twice with same result.
Firewall was installing fine.
I uninstalled it, tried again....same thing.
Finally, I used Uninstall/Change option from Programs and Features, and I installed AV only over the top, and it finally went through.
Then, I opened Comodo Security Center, and I tried to update virus database.
It got stuck at 52%.
I canceled, restarted computer, and the update got stuck at 60%.
Canceled, restarted again, and this time, it finished.
So, I'm all set, but it was a pain.

I hope, the above may help someone else.

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
That reminds me mine never updated lol, i ended up uninstalling the whole thing

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'll keep an eye on it. I didn't use Windows 7 since last night.
In any case, before I installed Comodo, I had Avast there, and it installed, and worked without a problem.
I even didn't have to use Vista compatibility option to make it work.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I just started Windows 7, and Comodo AV was updated upon computer starting.

PC-Tech

PC-Tech

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm currently running Windows 7 Pre-Beta, and i agree that most of the changes are only cosmetic, but thats just another one of Microsoft's glorious flaws in their thinking. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
To expand a little...
If we look back...
3.1>95>98>NT(2000)>XP>Vista
All the above transitions meant pretty big changes, and each time, it was taking some time to get used to new OS.
When I installed Windows 7, I had to look really hard to see any changes from Vista OS.
I'm really not sure what's M$ point.