Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer restarting when I try to write dvd

• Please log in to reply

vimes

vimes

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
When I try to write dvds using windows dvd maker or programs of a similar ilk my computer turns itself off halfway through. It also very rarely turns itself off randomly anyway. I cannot seem to find the problem and any help would be very much appreciated. My operating system is windows vista ultimate. I thought it may be something to do with the fan system I have in my computer so I have saved a report of everest so that anyone with more knowledge on this kind of thing can give an opinion, but not sure whether or how to post the report.

Edited by vimes, 11 December 2008 - 04:23 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...and get WhoCrashed: Free Crash Dump Analyzer for Windows...instructions are at the link too...
after you run the program..post what it finds back here for us

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Downloaded it and ran it and here are the results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled and no crash dumps have been found on your computer. In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware or power failure. Then it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What do you mean by the computer turning of halfway?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get everest home 1.51...install and launch it...
click on the + beside computer...then sensor...get a screenshot so I can check your temps and voltage's...

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
every time I click on the sensor icon I get a blank screen it doesn't show anything

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Just after I posted the last post it worked.

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)

Temperatures
CPU 43 °C (109 °F)
MAXTOR STM3250820A 25 °C (77 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2192 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.14 V
+2.5 V 1.63 V
+3.3 V 3.36 V
+5 V 5.05 V
+12 V 11.84 V
+5 V Standby 4.78 V
VBAT Battery 3.25 V

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your temps look good but you have several in the voltage that are low...do you have access to a PSU of equal to or greater voltage you could try...

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I don't have one but I may be able to get my hands on one. I will try and get it.

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
still struggling to get hold of one. The writing on the side of the psu doesn't say what power rating it is but it does give voltage values for 200 watts and 400 watts so I am presuming it is going to be a 400 watt one.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
give us the make and model of your computer....

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
he make and model number are BIOSTAR Group P4M90-M7 Ver:1.0
Not sure if that is exactly what you wanted but I have a report from belarc if you would like to look through it to see if it has any more helpful information also was wondering if anyone can help me figure out why youtube etc. seem to be stuttering through because they are constantly waiting to load.

Edited by vimes, 21 March 2009 - 08:18 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
no..I want like..
Hewlett Packard A6745F PAVILION A6745
Gateway M-6885u
DELL Inspiron 530

vimes

vimes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Bought my computer off of ebay so having difficulty finding any of this out. Where would I find this?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it will be on the case somewhere or look on the sticker on the bottom if its a laptop or back of the case if its a tower