Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iTunes alternative

• Please log in to reply

divetechdave

divetechdave

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section.
I have been searching here and google for an alternative software to use other than iTunes.
I found this web site...

http://www.simplehel...ging-your-ipod/

And a few others like it, I was wondering if someone can offer 1st hand thoughts on software for me.
I would like to,
Use existing ipod
Connect it to either of 2 computers
Transfer music either way, with either computer
Perhaps to be able to find names etc for existing music, rather then music being imported from cd at the time.
And the bonus bit, simple user interface, with out wanting to search the web stores etc.

I am happy to pay for this, just hope to get good recomendations to start with.
Thanx in advance.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well I don't have an iPod, but I sure can vouch for Winamp. It's on your list, and it's one of my favourite music programs. It's free, so I'd check it out - or there is a Pro version for $19.95, differences are here.

Troy

Libid21

Libid21

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I just use iTunes so I can manage the album artwork easier on my Classic.

Battle Unit

Battle Unit

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Foobar2000 has a plug-in for iPod. Didn't test it personally, because don't use iPod, but worth trying i think.

link - http://www.hydrogena...showtopic=19156

rubles

rubles

• Pip
  • 3 posts
It depends which IPod you are using. I used to have a old (2004) IPod mini and happily used that with a clapped out Debian box. Buying an IPod touch forced me into using a Windows XP box.

Linux:

Hipo
gtkpod
Amarok
Rythmbox

Windows:

Winamp
Windows Media Player

Daan_DL

Daan_DL

• Pip
  • 4 posts
And another one for windows: mediamonkey
It has great Ipod support

Grtz Daan

newbiesfornovices

newbiesfornovices

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i agree with daan_dl

Mediamonkey works like a charm, i tunes was a complete nightmare, my songs went awol !

Winamp is good too, but i have always stuck with mediamonkey, I have a 30 ipod, and i have just put over eleven thousand songs on my friends 160 gig ipod with no fuss at all.

I tried to sync my ipod on a vista comp, and lost half my songs, i use xp, dunno why that happened, make sure you back your songs up !

All the best
:)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
VLC media play
Works with Ipod - Windows , Mac and Linux
is Free

littlep2000

littlep2000

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm a fan of Winamp as well since it doesn't create copies of your music unlike iTunes or my Creative software did, it simply collects and organizes the files.

divetechdave

divetechdave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
WinAmp it is then, and it works well.
I found that I can plug the Ipod into another computor and take all the tunes of it no worries.
Sweet, no complications.
Thanks everyone

pauline addis

pauline addis

• Visiting Consultant
  • 777 posts
YamIpod: you can play or manage your songs from every computer. Windows, Mac and Linux. Free.

Mac OS X and Windows installation

No installation is required: download YamiPod, extract it and launch the application (iPod will be automatically detected).

Just make sure you:
* have run iTunes at least once (which setups iPod correctly)
* have at least one song on the iPod
* set your iPod to work as a Hard Disk as shown here. It's also suggested to uncheck the Open iTunes when this iPod is attached option.
* set iTunes to manage songs manually as shown here.
* have QuickTime Player installed under Windows. Otherwise you won't be able to play songs within YamiPod.

Note
no libraries nor preferences files will be copied to your system. YamiPod saves all data on iPod.

Hope it helps :)

divetechdave

divetechdave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi
Back again
My LapTop was stolen, I have my Ipod still and now am trying to copy the music from it onto the new laptop, this is music I have on CD, but that will take days to do manualy again.
I am trying to use mediamonkey and/or Winamp to copy the music onto the laptop, but they just seem to link themselve to the Ipod instead.
Am I missing something here or is it not possible?
Cheers All

divetechdave

divetechdave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Someone very clever put me onto MediaWidget, I paid AU$31.00 for it and it happily grabed all the music of the Ipod back onto the Computor.
It is a nice easy to use software. Done a great job to.

Telmj

Telmj

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Winamp's not bad, but I've found it to be really slow transferring files to my ipod.

For something that is quick, easy, small and lets you take music off your ipod as well as back up all the music, I'd use Sharepod. I've tried almost all those alternatives because I can't stand itunes and none of them are as good as Sharepod.

The only problem is, I find when I use any software other than itunes the fast scroll on my ipod (where the letters of the alphabet appear to help you get to the song you want quicker) goes wrong. It's had phases of going A, F, B, F, C, F or not working at all. I don't know whether this is just a problem with classics, though (or even just a probem with my ipod) because my old ipod mini had no trouble at all.

dragondavid

dragondavid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I found a best removed to manage my ipod.

Edited by ScHwErV, 30 March 2009 - 01:16 PM.
$25?? for your first post? No.