Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista vs XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

corymcnutt

corymcnutt

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a situation where my XP Pro HDD needs to be formated and a clean install done. I lost my copy of XP Pro and need to buy a new program. Should I "upgrade" to Vista Home Premium or purchase and reload XP Pro? I am rebuilding a computer with ASUS P5Q Pro mb and 4 gig of ram, 2 EDI HDDs and 2 SATA DVD Burners, if that makes any difference. Thanks for your help!

Cory

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depends entirely on what you want to do and what you prefer. Some older programs and some older hardware doesn't work under Vista anyway. 32-bit XP and 32-bit Vista won't show you the full 4Gb of memory - for that you'd need 64-bit. Again some stuff doesn't work on 64-bit software.

corymcnutt

corymcnutt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am using my computer mostly for MS Office and Photoshop, no gaming. The equipment is now all new, but since XP Pro w/SP2 can use the multiple core processors, I think I will stick with 32 bit XP Pro and wait for the next generation of windows. Thanks for your time.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Dual core and dual-processor are not the same thing.

XP Professional supports the use of Two physical processors which XP Home does not. It will only see the first processor.

XP Home supports the use of dual-core processors with no problem whatsoever. Dual-core is two brains on one chip (quad-core is four brains on one chip). Providing you have one physical processor you can have as many cores on it as you like and it'll still work. XP Professional and all versions of Vista support dual-core, however only Vista Business, Ultimate and Enterprise (and XP Pro) support two physical processors.

corymcnutt

corymcnutt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So you are saying that XP Home will take full advantage of a Core 2 Duo Processor, using BOTH cores and BOTH processors? I have the Intel model E8400, 3 GHz, Core 2 Duo Processor, FSB: 1333 MHz, L2 Cache 6MB. I thought I read where the XP Home would work with it but not fully utilize both processors. I see what you are saying about dual/quad cores, but isn't this also a Duo (or 2 separate) Processors as well? Thanks...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
A single Core 2 Duo processor is one processor with two brains on it (dual-core). XP Home will talk to it as will all versions of Vista.
Situations where you need two processors in one board you tend to find in server situations and they have no real benefit in a home environment.

corymcnutt

corymcnutt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks Neil, I appreciate your answer and explanation. I have someone that may have an OEM XP Pro (which I am used to) that I can use, along with my Key, if not then I will load up XP Home. I'm not sure that I even need XP Pro, but since I have used its screens for the past six years, I am comfortable with it. Do you know of ANY reason to use Pro over Home edition if I am just using it in a home environment, networked to a wireless router at another computer? Thanks, again.

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

32-bit XP and 32-bit Vista won't show you the full 4Gb of memory - for that you'd need 64-bit.

whats max RAM 32bit xp/vista will show?

M420

M420

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I have XP Pro SP3 and 4GB of RAM installed. If I go to Start>Control Panel>System it shows that I have 3.25GB of RAM

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

I have XP Pro SP3 and 4GB of RAM installed. If I go to Start>Control Panel>System it shows that I have 3.25GB of RAM

so it wont recognize (or utilize) the last 3/4 of ram?

Advertisements

corymcnutt

corymcnutt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
From what I have read...it does UTILIZE all 4 gigs, but that balance of that last 3/4 ram is used by the system. I am in the same situation...a new ASUS board with 2 x 2 gig on board, using XP Pro, SP3. to see that it's all being used, go to "Control-Alt-Delete" and look under "Task Manager" and then "Performance." It will should you what is happening with it.

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
32-bit OS's only recognize 4 gigs, but it also takes into account video memory. So actual ram is usually like 3.2-3.6gb. It's a really common discussion, I'd recommend googling it to get a little more information on it.

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

32-bit OS's only recognize 4 gigs, but it also takes into account video memory. So actual ram is usually like 3.2-3.6gb. It's a really common discussion, I'd recommend googling it to get a little more information on it.

does it matter if you have onboard or video card?does it still take into account vid mem?

Nimwe

Nimwe

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
This is the official MS detail for Vista. The short version (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) is that 32bit operating systems are limited to 4GB of ram. This limit, as Lurky pointed out, includes video memory. So if you have 4 gigs (4096MB) of system ram, and a 512MB video card, then windows will report 3.5GB (3584MB). 64 bit versions of windows have higher memory limits, so this isn't normally seen with them.

Edited by Nimwe, 31 December 2008 - 09:00 PM.

corymcnutt

corymcnutt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have 4 gigs and a 512 Vid Card, but still show 3.25 gigs.