Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to switch to another program without lag.

• Please log in to reply

kittiez

kittiez

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hello!

Previously, I thought that my Geforce 8400M GS card was the stem of all of these problems, but now I'm not sure.

Basically, when switching from a game/drawing applications to another application - the computer freezes temporarily or freezes altogether.

Things that trigger this :
  • Changing actual volume while a game is up. The computer will completely freeze.
  • Switching to another program while the game is up. The computer will temporarily freeze.
  • Changing in-game volume. The computer will completely freeze.
Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this?
This problem has eluded countless technical support and computer workshops so far. Other than these problems, the computer seems perfectly fine. It doesn't even overheat. I have sent this computer over twelve times.

Programs / Examples (may help):

2D Sidescrolling game La Tale = permanent freeze on volume adjustment and videos, normal freeze on switching to another application
3D Game Luna Online = Freeze on clicking to another window, but can play videos / volume.
MSN Drawing Tab = Freeze on clicking the drawing tab and freeze again when going to draw. Freezes when switching back to text.
3D Game Flyff (on max settings) = No freezing at all when switching, ability to play videos.

Computer Specs:

Hp Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 3070 MB
32-bit Vista
Display: NVIDIA Geforce 8400M GS
Approx. Total Memory: 1521 MB.

Sound
Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition)

Edited by kittiez, 27 December 2008 - 07:43 AM.

Advertisements

kittiez

kittiez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Okay, when a non tech-savvy person solves a problem that 12 people (and countless others) couldn't, it's a miracle!

Turns out, it was HP Quickplay that was the culprit. For whatever reason, it was causing all these problems. This is just a warning for those with HP Quickplay out there with similar problems!

I think I deserve a pat on the back. :)

Naomi

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
*Troy pats kittiez on the back.

Sounds like a job well done! :)

...and another reason why I'm not a fan of the "extra" programs manufacturers install on their computers.

I've closed the Waiting Room topic for you.

Cheers

Troy