Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Merging Movie Files

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi all,

I'd really like to learn how to do this. Of all the things I do know... this isn't one! :)

My home video camera is a Sony which records to miniature DVDs. On our recent holidays, we managed to use three discs. The problem is, each one only runs for about 25 minutes, and then I have to change the disc over. I'd like to put them all into the one large movie file (if possible). I don't mind if I have to convert them.

When I perform the "finalize" option on the camera before the DVDs can be played, it literally creates a proper DVD structure - .vob files etc...

So currently I have 3x 1GB folders in my Movies folder that I would like to merge together.

Any ideas on how this can be done?

Troy

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Hey there Troy.

Just to confirm... You are trying to merge three .vob files? Are these files already on your computer or are they only on mini-DVDs?

Also, as an "end result", would you like the file to fit on a single full-sized DVD? Or do you just want it on your computer?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
For specific files, I have the following folder/file structure on my computer right now:

Disc 1 > VIDEO_TS
VIDEO_TS.BUP <-- 14.0 KB
VIDEO_TS.IFO <-- 14.0 KB
VIDEO_TS.VOB <-- 480 KB
VTS_01_0.BUP <-- 30.0 KB
VTS_01_0.IFO <-- 30 KB
VTS_01_1.VOB <-- 0.99 GB
VTS_01_2.VOB <-- 111 MB

Disc 2 > VIDEO_TS
VIDEO_TS.BUP <-- 14.0 KB
VIDEO_TS.IFO <-- 14.0 KB
VIDEO_TS.VOB <-- 288 KB
VTS_01_0.BUP <-- 32.0 KB
VTS_01_0.IFO <-- 32.0 KB
VTS_01_1.VOB <-- 0.99 GB
VTS_01_2.VOB <-- 100 MB

Disc 3 > VIDEO_TS
VIDEO_TS.BUP <-- 16.0 KB
VIDEO_TS.IFO <-- 16.0 KB
VIDEO_TS.VOB <-- 288 KB
VTS_01_0.BUP <-- 22 KB
VTS_01_0.IFO <-- 22 KB
VTS_01_1.VOB <--600 MB
VTS_02_0.BUP <-- 16.0 KB
VTS_02_0.IFO <-- 16.0 KB
VTS_02_1.VOB <-- 287 MB
VTS_03_0.BUP <-- 14.0 KB
VTS_03_0.IFO <-- 14.0 KB
VTS_03_1.VOB <-- 480 KB

--------------

You know, a screenshot probably would have been quicker. :) (Of course I think of it now)

So it looks like a lot more than three .vob files... I have 10?

If I could have the final result as both on a single DVD and on my computer, that'd be cool... Don't forget that most DVD players are capable of playing different types of video as well, so that's why I'm not bothered to convert the whole lot, as long as it's something compatible.

What do you know?

Cheers

Troy

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Alright, let's get started.
Copy all of the VTS_xx_x.VOB files into a single folder. Do not copy the VIDEO_TS.VOB files. So, it looks like you only have 7 VOB files matching my criteria.

Then, rename them all so they are:

VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB
VTS_01_5.VOB
VTS_01_6.VOB
VTS_01_7.VOB

Of course, the number that you put them in is the order that they will be in the finished file.

Next, download AutoGK and install it. When installing, make sure to check the checkboxes to install all optional items.

Fire up AutoGK. For input file, browse to the folder I had you put all the VOBs in, and select VTS_01_1.VOB.
For output, name it whatever you want, making sure the extension is .avi.

You can select a predefined size of 2GB (DVD-R size) under "Select Output Size", though it may be at the loss of some quality. For full quality, make target percentage = 100%.

Under "Advanced Settings" make sure Codec is XVID and Output Format is AVI. Also, make output audio CBR MP3 128kbps.

Hit Add Job, then Start, and wait for the video to be encoded.

Hope that helps, and sorry for lack of formatting in this post (did I learn nothing in TechU? :)), but I'm posting in a rush.

Edited by stettybet0, 05 January 2009 - 06:16 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Your direct download link doesn't work... I've found plenty of places that host AutoGK, but all of them slow to a crawl and ultimately fail.

I've currently got one going at 7.8 kB/sec according to the Firefox Downloads box... Currently at 8% but hasn't stopped yet... this could take a while.

Seeing as it's already not great quality, I'll keep it at 100%. (That may be saying something about my filming skills) It should all still fit on one DVD, which would be awesome.

Well it's slowed down again to 5.5 kB/sec... 11% yay :)

And by the way, your post is formatted nicely, it's very easy to read. But what's TechU? :)

Troy

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Heh, know what's weird? I'm using Firefox, and when I right-click on my AutoGK download link and select "Open in New Tab", it gives me a 403 error. However, when I just left-click on the link, it works fine. Did you try just left-clicking on it? (I know my natural inclination is to right-click and select "Open in New Tab", maybe yours is too.)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well that's awesome! Job finished successfully, now I know how to do it. It sure was taxing on my system though, I guess that's more "proof" my overclock is stable.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Glad to hear it worked out. :)

I guess it does stress your system a bit, but not nearly as much as an overnight run of Orthos. Or a 5 minute run of Crysis on Very High with 16xQ AA on at 1080p resolution... :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay it did work good, but it doesn't play on a standard DVD player (I tried it at my Nanna's last night, she was much disappointed). Is there any way I can convert that 3+ GB file into something that will work on all DVD players?

Troy

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The file will work on all DIVX/XVID/MPEG4 compatible DVD players. Unfortunately, not all DVD players have this capability, especially older ones. Also unfortunately, there is no such thing as a file which will work on all DVD players. I had you encode it with XVID and CBR MP3 because those are typically compatible with the most DVD players, but again, not all.

Does your Nanna have a computer? That's the great thing about PCs; you can install software on almost any PC to have it play your movie.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes she has an old rig I keep maintained for her, but it's nothing to write home about... And it's for the littlies when they come to visit - you won't see her getting on it any time soon. With her eyes, it's hard enough for her to see the 42" TV as it is... :)

Troy