Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Security.

• Please log in to reply

edmo60

edmo60

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi everyone,
Att is my ISP and I am currently useing their Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee.
Is there other software I can or should be running along with this that is compatible? Should I ditch this and use something else?
I am curious as to what you "computer geeks" feel is the best way to go on internet security.

Also, is there a way to quarantine downloads such as music from limewire (I have teenagers) and scan them prior to them getting in my computer.
Thanks for your help/opinions/input.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there edmo60, and welcome.

We have a thread here that gives our recommendations, you can read it here.

Also the best way would be to uninstall Limewire, and any other P2P programs you have installed. P2P programs are notorious for infections, and we will not help you with them here at Geeks to Go - except to uninstall it. Refer to our Terms of Use.

Cheers

Troy

edmo60

edmo60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Troy,
The Limewire is gone. Now, if I use one of your recommended anti virus programs do I need anything else? Or is anti virus and Windows firewall enough?
Thanks Calvin

edmo60

edmo60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I uninstalled the McAfee and installed Avast anti virus. I not real keen on their scan "interface" page. Looks like a bad tape deck. Oh well, lets see how it works. I have my Windows firewall on so I think I'm good to go.
Thanks again for your help. GEEKS TO GO ROCKS!!!

Edited by edmo60, 06 January 2009 - 11:10 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I use Avira myself, Avast is also a good one. There is a way to change the skin, but it's been a while so I don't remember exactly.

Make sure to throw on some good anti-malware programs too, plenty recommended in that link.

Troy

edmo60

edmo60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK. I added the free SUPER Antispyware. What else do I need?
Thanks Troy

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Hi, edmo60, and welcome to the forums. :). It's good that you're using a firewall, but the Windows firewall is not our first recommendation, as it's not as customizable as other choices, and doesn't block outgoing traffic, only incoming. I can post some links a little later to some other options, such as Comodo (I'm answering from my phone and can't link as easily). Also, in terms of general security it's important to keep programs updated. This includes Windows, which should be done with automatic updates for the best protection; Adobe, if you have it; Java; and of course any protection programs you have, such as your antivirus and Superantispyware.

edmo60

edmo60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Sari,
If you could post some links I would appreciate it. That would be very helpful.
Does Avast Antispyware also act as a firewall? I read here that it "kind of" does.
Anyway thanks for all help.

Edited by edmo60, 07 January 2009 - 08:51 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
My recommendation for keeping your system updated is Personal System Inspector (PSI) by Secunia. It is a free d/l that scans your system and lets you know what programs are out of date. Also, if an update is available for free it links you to the update.

It can be found here

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Personally I would never download a program that scans my computer and sends data back to someone I don't know :)

Starbuck

Starbuck

• Visiting Consultant
  • 69 posts

Personally I would never download a program that scans my computer and sends data back to someone I don't know

Fully agree.
why download a program to sort your updates out.... get in the habit of doing it yourself.
and save downloading a program you don't actually need.

Does Avast Antispyware also act as a firewall? I read here that it "kind of" does.

Avast is an anti virus program. It doesn't act like a firewall at all.
you need a 3rd party firewall installed to be safe.
Here's a few 3rd party firewalls for you to decide on:

A 3rd party Firewall:
Some free firewalls are:
Only install one of these Firewalls.
NOTE: If choosing Zone Alarm be aware that the free version also installs ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker. It is recommended however that you UNcheck this option.

I can post some links a little later to some other options, such as Comodo

Please beware that Comodo now has added an Anti Virus protector to their Firewall, so if you already have an AV..... uncheck this option if you go that way.

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have Brighthouse Networks High Speed Roadrunner (15mbps) which is cable. They include the CA Internet Security Suite. I don't believe I have any major issues with using it and have actually grown pretty fond of them.

Their Firewall does change the .exe downloads to .efw which is easily resolved by saving the downloads to my desktop and renaming the .efw to .exe I consider this to be just an added layer of protection.

The other problem I'm having is with using my Windows update. I'm having to disable the firewall and activating Windows Firewall to successfully run my Windows Update, Program updates, and the Solutions to Problems. I thought I added the 3 microsoft websites to the safe zone on CA's Firewall but apparently not. Once I add the sites to the proper place I shouldn't have any more Window Update problems.