Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access: local only

• Please log in to reply

kezzie riddle

kezzie riddle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i had windows xp up untill about 2/3 weeks ago when i upgraded and installed Vista onto my computer.All Vista system is running good.

The problem is i can only connect to the internet every now and then due to a dns problem. windows error came up saying

"There is a problem with your Domain Name Server(DNS).Windows cant connect to a well known host like www.micrsoft.com. Windows found that this cant be fixed automatically "
(so basically i just got vista,have connected to the internet everything is fine then it just kicked me off.i never touched any settings)
i was looking on other forums and they said that i should disable IPv6 which i did and then set up a static dns which i also did(i did this by changing info in the bit where you make a static ip address)

And whilst i was in that area i decided to create a static IP address to as i need to do some port fowarding (i don't think this has any effect to the problem but i wernt to sure so thought it wuld b best to put it)

ok so i apllied those settings(IPv6:disabled and typed in my dns that was provided by my isp) and WICKED STUFF everything was working, for about 2 hours. it said i was connected to local and internet which is obviously what i want.

i never touched the blinkin thing and then randomly it just disconnected from the internet and not the network( so if u can imagine that in your network and sharing centre its like ..windows vista ultamate (network) (web browser)
(this comp.) ---------------- belkin 54g ---------*error(there is a little red cross here)*-----------internet... so i clicked the red cross to diagnose and repair. The error changed from saying i have a DNS problem to, i am connected to primary DNS but it is not responding or is not reconized".i can't remeber the error word for word but if it is important i will find them out(bcuz i am connected to the internet at the moment so i do not get no errors but to be sure in the next few hours i will be kicked off the internet and i will be seeing some dns error)

,what really annoys me is im not touching it.it jus connect/disconnects when it wants to. my first thought was that something might be on a timeout(not sure if that wat its called but i mean if the web browser is on a time out connection the you are not alowed on there till the right time - if that makes sense i dont even though if that is possible but you know what im trying to get at ) I am running windows vista on a laptop and am with talktalk isp and have a belkin router.................

I will be very thankful for any replies .....................p.s really need help with this one i know i spet it might b a minor thing but all the time when its disconnected im just looking throughh settings again and again.Ive spent so much time trying to sort this out its really starting to drive me mad. when I'm connected everything works like a dream. It as really got me puzzled ............thanks .......................o yea and here is my ip config when im fully connected and can upload one of when i am getting this error if needed.also please accept that i mite not return for a few days depends when my comp lets me connect to the internet..

ip config. .... . . . .... . .. . ... . ..
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Vista-Ultimate
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-C8-A9-9C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.24.199.13
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:d5c7:a2ca:287a:3042:b16e:c1db(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::287a:3042:b16e:c1db%12(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\Administrator>

Attached Files

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Enable DHCP: