Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preventing Malware and Safe Computing

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Yes you should still do that. It will remove any old infection points so that you wont get infected if you ever have to restore your PC to a previous time, and will make a brand new clean one.

Advertisements

Just Your Avg Bear

Just Your Avg Bear

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Rorschach, You really are a life saver. Thanks for the advice. My small token of BIG appreciation (via PayPal) to follow. I hope others will follow suit.

soggy26

soggy26

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have some doubts.
1) I'm using Windows Vista and thus Windows Defender is pre-installed. If i install SpywareGuard, do i have to disable Windows Defender (as both have real-time protection)?
2) What's your opinion about the Ad-Aware Free Anniversary Edition that has just come out? I'm asking because it has automatic updates and Ad-Watch Live real-time protection that were disabled in the previous version. I currently run it along with Spybot - S&D. I'm planning to replace them with MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware but was wondering if i should retain Ad-Aware because of the extra features that come with the Anniversary Edition.
3) Between Sunbelt and Comodo (without the anti-virus), which one do u recommend?

Thanks for the help and the wonderful guide!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
1)Windows Defender will clash with SpywareGuard, so don't run both

2)Ad-Aware is not as good as the other products I recommended. So I wouldn't use it myself.

3)I prefer Sunbelt, they are on the rise and showing great potential

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hello,

A question - will Ad-Watch (I have the full version of Ad-Aware that includes that feature) clash with Spyware Guard? They both provide real-time monitoring/protection, though I never get alerts from SG, and Ad-Watch alerts me to any changes in my system. Online Armour (which I am also using - free version) also monitors certain parts on the system.... This is also part of an ongoing investigation into why my computer crashes every now and then for no apparent reason.

Thanks,
SOADA

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Yes it will. Any real-time protection will cause conflict with SpywareGuard. A security conflict is probably responsible for your PC problem

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
This could be it, then.
Unless it isn't...... :)
In the meantime, I'll uninstall my Ad-Aware.

Thanks for the info!
SOADA

soggy26

soggy26

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the reply!
I used to think one should not have more than one antivirus and firewall installed but can/should have multiple anti-spyware programs. Now i know it isnt so. So, i hav uninstalled Ad Aware and Spybot and installed MBAM and SAS instead. SpywareBlaster, Windows Defender and McAfee Security Center(paid) was already there. My browser of choice is Firefox and it has the SiteAdvisor add-on.

I havent installed SpywareGuard to avoid conflict with Defender.

Then i realized that McAfee also offers some real-time antispyware protection. So, do i hav to turn off Windows Defender or something? I actually never felt that there's any conflict and after doing a scan with MBAM and SAS found no infections.

Edited by soggy26, 07 March 2009 - 04:55 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I don't think Defender and McAfee will clash. If you notice your PC being slow then chances they are.

I'd actually recommend removing McAfee anyway. Avira/Avast are both free and excellent

Tigerlure

Tigerlure

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hey I have norton firewall on vista. Will it clash with another firewall if i download one from here? Should I pick the one on your site over norton?

Edited by Tigerlure, 18 March 2009 - 01:42 PM.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Yes it will clash with the other firewalls here. You cant have more than one anti-virus or firewall program running or your PC is going to have issues

You would be better off keeping the Norton firewall actually.

lady_hime

lady_hime

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i'm really lacking when it comes to comp
knowledge and comp safety. i only have norton (expired)
and avg free right now and i have a feeling that's
not enough... so

what is backing up the registry?

how do i know if my comp has a firewall?

how will i know what clashes with what if
i download all of these new programs?

is it okay to save my data onto servers like
mediafire and such?

:) sorry for the many questions, but i really wanna take
steps to protect my laptop.

Edited by lady_hime, 24 March 2009 - 04:18 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
The registry is the foundation for your PC, you want to back it up as a safety net in case you ever damage your PC.

As for how to check if you have a firewall, try this

1. Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.

If Windows firewall is running, it should be listed as On.

how will i know what clashes with what if
i download all of these new programs?

Just don't install multiple anti-virus or firewall programs. If you followed the instructions in this topic exactly you should be fine.

is it okay to save my data onto servers like
mediafire and such?

No this is really unsafe

PoRco

PoRco

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
God, this was great !

I love the firefox add onns u suggested !

Thanks a lot.

I'm kinda unsure whether my PC is completely clean of malware or not yet. Waiting on reply in my thread, should I run Recovery Console anyway before the reply or should I just wait?

Thanks for the guide again !

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Wait for a reply to your topic, better that way.