Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Needing to Learn More About Computers

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

I have gotten quite a bit of help on here since I have thrown my self into building/messing with computers the last few weeks. So thanks to all of you!

However, I want to learn more and often I find that, since I am so new, I may come off as a complete idiot LOL. I had an audio wire from a cd-rom attached to a hard drive the other day to give you an idea. =)

I have no previous training or friends that has helped me in the past or now. But, with the help of Troy, a trusted tech volunteer, I was able to build my first computer out of old P3 era stuff. I am absolutely obsessed and fascinated with computers...I was a geek all along and never knew it.

I have decided I would like to go to school to learn how to build, repair, and work with computers. I need to look into where to go...Does anyone have any recomendations for me? I live in St. Louis, MO.

Also, since I'm so new, where can I go to ask questions like "where does an audio wire go from the cd" or "how do you change a bios setting" etc. I feel like geekstogo.com is pretty advanced and the terminology is sometimes way over my head. Are there any websites, chats, or forums for beginners to learn or ask tons of questions? If I posted a topic everytime I needed a question answered on here, I would have 100's of posts.

I guess what I am saying is I need a person or place to go where I can just ask question after question...instead of having to google every single little thing like I have been having to do. A lot of times the question seems to novice for the searches.

So, in conclusion, I want to go to school to get better at this and someday make some money at it hopefully while having a blast at it. Any suggestions? And, can anyone give me some suggestions on where I can go to ask all the beginners questions?

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Well, Troy has written quite an excellent tutorial on how to build computers. I think any remaining questions you might have could go in the System Building and Upgrading :)

Depending on what you want to do, you might look into GeekU here at Geeks to Go. It's a training program on how to remove malware from computers, after which you get to become staff here on the site. The best part of GeekU is that it's free! The teachers there are considered to be among the top malware removal experts in the world - IE, they really know their stuff.

I dunno if that helps at all, but I hope it does.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks,

I have thought about GeekU...I will keep that in mind for sure. I appreciate your thoughts.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Look around Amazon.com for books with a title like "The A+ guide to hardware" (and/or software) to start off with. The cost will be under $50.00 (I think) and will be a good starting point.
There are many text books of great value at an affordable cost.
You can also try calling a local vocational/ technical college and ask what text they use (Buying it online will cost a lot less).
And you may consider taking a few classes from a technical school.
Stay away from the so called "degree from home" type courses as they are a scam.
There is always help here for some one who is trying to learn. Ask questions. (even if they seem simple to you some one else may learn from your question)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thank you...that was a great answer.

I'm definately going to take you up on some of that advice. Thanks,