Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start up repair screen

• Please log in to reply

m8dman

m8dman

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I have been having problems with my computer starting up.... Every time i boot up im sent to an error screen then automatic repair pops up it and it says its trying to repair the system, What could be the problem?

Edited by m8dman, 24 January 2009 - 11:24 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What does the error say?
Is the computer bootable?
What about Safe Mode?

m8dman

m8dman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

What does the error say?
Is the computer bootable?
What about Safe Mode?

It says start up failed attempting automatic repair.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Do you have Vista DVD?
What computer brand, and model is it?

m8dman

m8dman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Do you have Vista DVD?
What computer brand, and model is it?

Its a dell xps 420 and no i dont have vista dvd. Also my PC keeps making this weird clicking sound and its acting realy sluggish could it be a virus problem?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If the clicking sound comes from your hard drive....

So called hard drive's Click of death is, in most cases, a warning, that the hard drive is about to fail, and all data is lost.
There may be some other reasons for clicking sound, like: bad power connector, defective motherboard, or defective hard drive's board, but in your best interest, it's better to assume, that hard drive itself is failing, and to try to recover data, as soon, as possible.
If your hard drive is still accessible, back up your data immediately, and start shopping for new hard drive.
If you can't access the hard drive, you have two options:
1. Remove the drive, and slave it in another working computer. An excellent tutorial can be found HERE
2. Buy hard drive enclosure, put your dying hard drive into it, connect the enclosure to the working computer's USB port, and to the power source. Enclosed hard drive will pop up in My Computer as another drive. Your best option is to buy ATA/SATA compatible enclosure (it comes with two sets of cables). In this case, you don't have to worry, what is the type of your hard drive.

Edited by Broni, 25 January 2009 - 10:43 AM.

m8dman

m8dman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

If the clicking sound comes from your hard drive....

So called hard drive's Click of death is, in most cases, a warning, that the hard drive is about to fail, and all data is lost.
There may be some other reasons for clicking sound, like: bad power connector, defective motherboard, or defective hard drive's board, but in your best interest, it's better to assume, that hard drive itself is failing, and to try to recover data, as soon, as possible.
If your hard drive is still accessible, back up your data immediately, and start shopping for new hard drive.
If you can't access the hard drive, you have two options:
1. Remove the drive, and slave it in another working computer. An excellent tutorial can be found HERE
2. Buy hard drive enclosure, put your dying hard drive into it, connect the enclosure to the working computer's USB port, and to the power source. Enclosed hard drive will pop up in My Computer as another drive. Your best option is to buy ATA/SATA compatible enclosure (it comes with two sets of cables). In this case, you don't have to worry, what is the type of your hard drive.

It a samsung HD321KJ ATA DRIVE.... Also the start up repair screen says the problem is a corrupted file in my system 32 folder.

m8dman

m8dman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Also is there any way to test my hard drive to see if its failing. And like i said before could it be a virus thats causing my problems.

Edited by m8dman, 26 January 2009 - 09:21 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If you're certain, the clicking comes from the hard drive, your priority is to save your data, and I gave you the options of doing this.
AFTER your data is safe, you may test the drive: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Personally, I've never heard about a virus causing any clicking sound.

m8dman

m8dman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

If you're certain, the clicking comes from the hard drive, your priority is to save your data, and I gave you the options of doing this.
AFTER your data is safe, you may test the drive: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Personally, I've never heard about a virus causing any clicking sound.

I have a few blank DVD,s that i can save my data to once im done with that i will do that test you recommended thanks for the help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :) Keep us posted...