Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent start up failure

• Please log in to reply

ustion

ustion

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey there,

I'm running windows Vista ultimate and I'm having problems with starting up windows after it has been shut down or put into hibernation.
Whats happens is that when the PC is turned on it loads as usual, until it gets the windows 'loading' screen. When it reaches this screen the PC turns off. Tried starting up in safe mode and it freezes when loading. The only time I'm able to get windows to start up is when it comes up with the 'disk check', which only comes up after numerous times of trying to start up windows.
I'm not sure whether this is Hardware problem or a vista problem, So if any one could help or knows anything of this problem it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Sounds like a hard drive problem, since your system will only start after a hard drive check, (which temporally fixes the problem). If you can get it started, right mouse click on drive C and go to the tools tab. Have the system do an error check routine and perhaps defrag as well. I would also be sure to back up all your data as soon as possible...(actually before the 1st two things I mentioned...)

Hope this helps..

Edited by Mark D, 31 January 2009 - 10:12 AM.

ustion

ustion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the reply,

I have tired the things that you have said to do, and I'm still getting the same problem.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostic: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

ustion

ustion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I ran the diagnostic, and it passed the test.. Though windows still does not want to load. When loading up in safemode it gets stuck on \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys
Could this be the cause to the problem?

Thanks for your help! :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Googling crcdisk.sys error gives tons of hits with no certain solutions, but some results go back to my original suspicion - bad hard drive
Do you have Vista DVD?

ustion

ustion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yeah. I had also googled it to and found no real solutions either.
I don't have the Vista DVD, it was pre-installed.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
1. Create Vista Recovery Disc.

Option 1:
http://www.c4consult...0SOLUCTIONS.htm

Option 2:
Download Vista Recovery Disc iso image: http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/
Burn it to CD, or DVD: http://neosmart.net/... to a CD or DVD

2. Boot from created disk.
At first screen click on Repair your computer:
Posted Image
This will bring you to a new screen where the repair process will look for all Windows Vista installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box:
Posted Image
After this, it will present you with a list of options including startup repair, system restore and command prompt:
Posted Image
Try System Restore, first.
If that doesn't work, try Startup Repair.