Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista can't open java applets

• Please log in to reply

Bishancoke

Bishancoke

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recently switched from a windows xp system to a brand-new dell studio intel core 2 quad cpu Q9400 @ 2.66GHz with 3gb RAM. It runs on a windows vista home premium os. Now whenever I run programs which requires to load java applets, it just goes to sleep or take a painfully long time to load. However sometimes after 10 over tries or so, I may get lucky and successfully load the applet, only to fail the very next time. Programs that does updating of data will start updating only to stall at the 30% or 40 % mark. Keep trying and it keeps stalling at different stages. My system doesn't seem to enable java script?

These programs used to work fine on Windows XP. BTW I tried on both IE7 and Mozilla 2.0 and have done the enabling of javascipt and the such. My brother uses windows vista home premium too and when i tried these programs on his system, all of them worked perfectly well.

The related software tech guys have instructed me to uninstall my java and re-install several other older versions but to no avail. I now use java ver 6 update 7. We even tried disabling windows firewall, defender and user account control but fail. I have even restored my system to factory setting twice.

May I know if this could be a modem/vista incompatibility or some drivers bugs from say, realtek ethernet network card?

Please assist, I'm grasping half blind for answers.

Edited by Bishancoke, 01 February 2009 - 09:34 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Now whenever I run programs which requires to load java applets

Are you talking about both browsers, or some other programs as well?

Bishancoke

Bishancoke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Broni, thanks for the reply. Java applets can't open on both IE & Mozilla. Also on other programs that requires to download data for updating that runs on its own without any browser. No error messages but just trying to load for an indefinite period of time. I am suspecting that my modem (Aztec 600 EC) is not up to the task in Vista.

Edited by Bishancoke, 01 February 2009 - 08:35 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Start with couple of checks....

1. Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same thing?

2. Close Firefox. Go Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox, click on Mozilla Firefox (safe mode). Same thing?

3. Restart computer in Safe Mode with Networking, and see, if same thing happens in both browsers.

Bishancoke

Bishancoke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Start with couple of checks....

1. Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same thing?

2. Close Firefox. Go Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox, click on Mozilla Firefox (safe mode). Same thing?

3. Restart computer in Safe Mode with Networking, and see, if same thing happens in both browsers.

Thanks. The result is :

1) IE no add-on : Programs doesn't load. Prompted to install java.
2) Firefox no add-on : Programs open but applets still can't load.
3) Restart in safe mode : Exactly the same as before.

:)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What AV, and firewall do you use?

Bishancoke

Bishancoke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

What AV, and firewall do you use?

This new system comes with a McAfee Antivirus but after having these problems, I have uninstalled it so no AV ever since. Firewall I'm using windows firewall which I have disabled.

Just did a line check with my internet provider and the results are good. Running on 8mbps download speed. Do you recommend me doing a windows reinstall?

Edited by Bishancoke, 02 February 2009 - 12:11 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

no AV ever since. Firewall I'm using windows firewall which I have disabled

In this case...

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

P. S. Being without AV, and firewall is kind of suicidal.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Bishancoke

I agree with broni , good call

No Av and firewall is like driving a car without any brakes and hoping not to hit anyone... you will in the long run....

connection speed is not considered :)

AV and Firewall's will not take all your bandwidth .. only when they update they will use some :)

I would have also recommended you to head over to the malware forum and get cleaned up :)

Bishancoke

Bishancoke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

head over to the malware forum and get cleaned up :)

Great News !

I heeded the advice given by both Broni & Anthony and reinstated my firewall. Then ran Malwarebybes and was detected clean. Ran Avast and was also clean. Then out of the blue when I retried the programs, all started to run in lightning speed. How did this happen?

So do I still need to post my log on hijackthis?

Million thanks guys.

:)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Nice :)
I have no idea what happened, but miracles in computer world happens pretty often :)
I assume, you have the firewall up, and Avast running as well, correct/

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Bishancoke

Good to hear all is well now , thank you for reply to let us know how it all went

nice selection on the avast AV , i also run that myself as my main AV program

Along with Comodo ( firewall ) , but i also recommend zonealarm ( not at the same time though )

BTW: if your computer seems to be all ok , and you are happy with the results .. no need for the malware staff to check you out

although you can get a check-up if you really wish to.. no harm done ( should be a easy topic for them lol )

good luck in the near future and Happy Computing !

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 02 February 2009 - 07:59 PM.