Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown infection - disabled my keyboard

• Please log in to reply

Sabastianni

Sabastianni

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My son's machine had some issues awhile ago and found some nasty files and cleaned them out, and cleaned out the registry. Everything was working fine for a short while and then he had a winsock issue but the program I ususally use to resolve winsock catalog issue wasn't working. I couldn't get Norton to open or run. I deinstalled Norton and reloaded it which resolved everything. Within an hour, his keyboard stopped working. Whenever I try to open a Microsoft product (Word, Excel, etc.) I get a message that "Word has detected that you are holding down the CTRL key."

I unplugged the keyboard which was plugged into the port on the back of the PC and used a different keyboard with a USB connection but I still get the same problem.

There doesn't seem to be much I can do without a keyboard. I can't even start it in safe mode because none of the keys are working. I was able to copy AVG on to it and run a scan but it didn't find anything.

Does this sound like an infection? I find it too coincidental to be a real hardware problem. I've tried updating the keyboard driver and uninstalling it, etc. --anything I can do with just clicking the mouse.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements