Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Sound Problem

• Please log in to reply

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I am running the 32-bit Version of Windows 7 Beta. I know beta's aren't perfect but I would at least to be able to have my sound working properly. The driver[Intel® 82801DB/DBM AC '97 Audio Controller] is installed on my computer and says it is working properly. There no update for the driver since I have tried that already. I am dual booting with Windows XP as my other option and the sound works perfectly there.
**I guess it would help to tell you guys that I am using a Dell Dimension 2400 as well.**

PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE THIS PROBLEM MY FELLOW GEEKS!
:)

p.s.-included is a picture of the device manager with the "Other Devicecs" and "Sound" drivers expanded.

Attached Thumbnails

• device.jpg

Edited by K. Prophett, 18 February 2009 - 03:04 PM.

Advertisements

creepysound

creepysound

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, from your screenshot i can see that you have some exclamation marks next to a few devices there....Multimedia audio controller, PCI input device and Video controller. I am taking a guess, but is this Audio device built into the motherboard??

When you said there was no update to the audio driver, did you mean just the audio driver or did you try updating the chipset drivers as well? To me it looks like you need to update your motherboard chipset drivers. If no new updates are available, then you will want to try to run the chipset drivers that were made for Windows Vista. (Some companies have released drivers and chipset drivers directly for the win7 beta, but others have not).

Once you solve the Exclamation problem with the "multimedia audio controller" and PCI Device, then your sound will start working again i think.

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Yeah the audio device is built into the motherboard of the computer. I tried looking for the chipset update for the Dimension 2400 but the only OS that it supports is Windows XP. And I got these drivers straight from the Dell site. Is there another Dell computer I can select to get the chipset driver that will work for the Dimension 2400?

creepysound

creepysound

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi K. Prophett,

I tried to see directly from the Intel site for that motherboard Chipset, if i could find a Windows vista driver at least and i was unsuccessful at being able to do that. I only saw Winxp Drivers at highest on the Intel Site as well.

Have you tried to right click on one of those Exclamation mark items and select update driver or try using Windows update?? I know you said you searched for drivers on the dell website but i don't know if you have done this step yet.

Unfortunately i don't believe you can use another Chipset Driver from another Dell machine. The 2400 doesn't seem to be vista supported to chances are, that any boards even close to it will also not be vista supported (Due to the age of the motherboard). This however Does not Mean that when Windows 7 is released to retail that you wont be able to use it on your 2400. Windows7 is supposed to work with Allot Older hardware then any of their Previous OS's were able to do. Though no actual Upgrade Adviser utility has been released yet, so you can check your system. (Since they are still working on more supported drivers all the time while the beta goes on)

Other then that, i'm out of ideas. You could try posting on the offical beta forums in the hardware compatibility area and see if anyone else with a Dell 2400 has any ideas for you. Its located here http://social.techne...tegory/w7itpro/

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
creepysound,

yeah I've tried right clicking on all three of those devices to update but unfortunately I got a reply back saying there were no updates for the particular drivers. And yeah I've tried using Windows Update as well. According to Windows, I am completely up to date. But not having sound is not exactly a problem so until the drivers come out for it I'll just have to do without it. And I'll try posting on the official 7 forum as well. Thanks for the help though