Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop complete slow down... Runs fine on safe mode

• Please log in to reply

Mr George

Mr George

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi!

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

I have a friends laptop, it seems to be exceedingly slow (When I go on command prompt it doesn't show the CPU to be using an awful lot of power), I go on safe mode and it runs perfectly!

I installed some anti-virus and what not, I usuualy use AVG but that won't install in safe mode, so I used Avast. I deleted everything they found! I also used panda for an online scan. After all this - nothing! Still just as slow!

Does anyone have any ideas?! I usualy resort to formatting in a case like this, but my friend didn't make a backup disk!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Mr George

Most computers will run fine in safemode as only basic device drivers are loaded. Your computer can become slow for many reasons, one of which can be malware so I would like you to get a quick check for malware over at our malware removal forum. I reccomend that you read the following topic here and then post your problem here.

Please post your problem there where our experts will be more than happy to assist you :) If your problem is still presant after the removal of any malware please return to this topic.

Regards

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I don't think this is malware related, it seems like you have installed multiple anti-virus programs and as a result, they are conflicting

Do this

Download Security Check here or here and save it to your Desktop.
  • Unzip SecurityCheck.zip and a folder named Security Check should appear.
  • Open the Security Check folder and double-click Security Check.bat
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.