Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No userinit.exe file to fix blaze problem

• Please log in to reply

pbesong

pbesong

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I believe our computer was infected by the Blaze Find malware. I ran AdAware, but now when we try to log on to any of the user accounts, it will immediately log off again so we can't even get to the desktop.

I am in restore console now and the directions I've read are to go to C:\windows\system32 and "copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe".
I am currently in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ but neither of these files exist there. There is no userinit.exe, so I cannot copy it. Is there a workaround for this before I reinstall XP?

UPDATE: I copied userinit.exe from my Mac Parallels installation of XP onto a flash drive. Now I don't know how to copy this file onto the Dell using Restore Console. I tried typing "copy F:\userinit.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\userinit.exe" but it said it could not find the file. I really don't know how to navigate the file system well in the console to be able to change drives to see the flash drive. Do I need to enable that drive or something? I'm not even sure which drive letter it is to be honest.

LATEST UPDATE:

Okay, I actually fixed my computer!!!

To get the Flash drive to show up I had to restart and boot from CD. This time the Flash drive showed up as drive D. I was able to copy the userinit.exe file to c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe, then i copied that one to c:\windows\system32\wsaupdater.exe. I then had to go back into System Setup to change the disk driver back to "auto", since I had to change it to "combined" to get Restore Console to work. I have a Dell that has no floppy drive and this was the only way to get past loading drivers. Once I did that I was able to reboot into Windows normally. And the issue of it logging off immediately after logging on is solved. For now. :))

Edited by pbesong, 22 February 2009 - 11:58 AM.

Advertisements