Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer do not load

• Please log in to reply

zanduu

zanduu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have HP slimline desktop. Recently I tried to use it and found it will not load the os, vista, the monitor screen stays black. I tried running the backup cd to restore it but it will not load. The cd/dvd is working. I only get the power light.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try another monitor?

zanduu

zanduu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The monitor is working. The computer is not. The system does not load. The last time I had it on there was a message that something had been installed incorrectly and needed to be reinstall. Also prior to that, when I was online explorer would repeatly stop responding and would restart. I bought software to scan my computer and clean it up and also fix the internet explorer. Then the computer started to white out with small bits of color between the white screen. Finally it just stop loading. Once I turned it off it would not load anymore. Only the power light comes on but I cannot detect any other sound coming from the tower. No sounds at all just the power light and the internet line had light.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First see if you can get to the BIOS by hitting the delete key repeatedly while the computer is booting up. If you get to the blue BIOS screen then the computer is still working.

If that works try hitting the F8 key while the computer is booting up to get to the Safe mode and see if you can choose the "Last Known Good Configuration ".

If you cannot even get to the safe mode screen, you will probably need to do a new Reinstall of Windows on the computer. Hopefully you have done regular backups of your data you do not want to lose. You may even have to wipe the hard drive and reformat the drive by writing all "0" s to the drive with the hard drive makers utilities. I am not saying all this is necessary, but it may come to that in the end because you have either a virus or a bad software download that has boogered the OS.

SRX660

zanduu

zanduu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The computer will not boot. Put cd in drive and will run but nothing appears on the screen. The screen remains black. No other sounds can be heard from the computer. Only light on is the power.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most likely your hard drive has gone bad. Usually when i get comp's that do not boot at all i go thru this routine.

1. Replace Memory with known good. Memory can be flaky enough to let some hardware start running but not let the system boot.

2. hook a known good Hard Drive into data cable and power cable and start comp.
HD is not setup into the system, just cables hooked up. A windows CD in the CDrom drive should get the system to start installing windows. If so then the rest of the system is working. If nothing still happens on to the next test.

3.Here is where i vary since i cannot have every combination of Motherboard/Processor known just laying around.
I use a known Motherboard/CPU that is compatible with the bus system( IDE?, SATA?)to check that all other hardware is working. I have a rack mount system where i can set it next to open comp case and attach all other hardware from the problem comp without removing them( most of the time). If the computer boots then i replace the motherboard.

4. Other problems that can occur is a Power Supply that is weak or slightly burnt so not enough power is output to start the computer.

Since the computer was already running once, i rule out a short in the system, but i do check all cables for breaks, wear spots, etc.

I also keep known good HD's, spare cd/dvd drives, and other parts around for test purposes. Yes, i know you do not have this luxury, but if you look around i think you will find a small shop that will do this for you for a nominal fee. I do this free of charge for people since it usually leads them to buy other equipment like new computers from me and call me if they have other problems with their computers.

SRX660