Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Logon UI.EXE Bad Image Error windows/sys32/msimg32.dll error

• Please log in to reply

catrobinson01

catrobinson01

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Vista Logon UI.EXE Bad Image Error windows/sys32/msimg32.dll error

My daughter was using her Dell Laptop taking notes all morning at school and put it to sleep for a 5 minute break for lunch. When she woke it back up it came up with the error message "Logon UI.exe. Bad Image c:/windows/system32/MSIMG32.dll Not designed to run on the laptop etc" and it will not boot up into windows at all, or in any mode.

We used the installation disk that was sent with the system and booted via the disk into a special troubleshooting window (that is the only place it will boot into) that allows restore, reformat, and the command promt.

I tried to use restore, but it did not fix the problem. I had her call Dell and they told her it was a software issue and they wanted to charge her a lot of money to "take remote control of her computer" and repair it. One tech thought it was a virus. I called Dell and they walked me through several things to check the hardware, which seems to be just fine. They then decided that the disk needed to be reformatted due to corrupted files. She has a lot of her IB senior school work on the computer and would really like to NOT loose it if it is at all possible to fix it another way.

A very nice person on this site gave me some advice, getting to the command prompt and use different scanning commands to repair corrupted dll files, but it tells me that it is protected, and I do not know how to get around it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

catrobinson01

Edited by catrobinson01, 21 March 2009 - 11:37 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

A very nice person on this site gave me some advice, getting to the command prompt and use different scanning commands to repair corrupted dll files, but it tells me that it is protected, and I do not know how to get around it.

What commands are those, and what is the exact message, when you try to execute them?

catrobinson01

catrobinson01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
This is the excerpt from the advice I was given:

" I advise you to boot from your original cd and use System File Checker ( SFC ) , enter into command prompt and type

SFC /SCANNOW ( Exactly how it is written , or it will not recognize the command ! )

this will Scan all protected system files immediately

System File Checker will also check and repopulate the %Systemroot%\system32\dllcache directory. If the dllcache directory becomes corrupted or unusable, SFC /SCANNOW, SFC /SCANONCE, SFC /SCANBOOT, or SFC /PURGECACHE can be used to repair the contents of the dllcache directory

if any files are corrupted they will be replaced from the original windows disk ( should be already in the cd-rom / dvd-drive )

This will ensure your windows is intact and none of your windows files is corrupted. "

It says exactly " Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service."

Thanks,

Cheryl

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
1. If you have Windows CD, follow the steps from here: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp

2. If you don't have Windows CD...
Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Then, follow the steps from here: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp, starting below this picture on page 1:
Posted Image

catrobinson01

catrobinson01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I read this and the website information and I believe that I can do it, but I just want to verify that even though the instructions are for "XP", they should work for Vista?

Thank you in advance!

Cheryl

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No. I'm sorry for not noticing, but your question was posted in XP forum.
For Vista....

1. Create Vista Recovery Disc.

Option 1:
http://www.c4consult...0SOLUCTIONS.htm

Option 2:
Download Vista Recovery Disc iso image: http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/
Burn it to CD, or DVD: http://neosmart.net/... to a CD or DVD

2. Boot from created disk.
At first screen click on Repair your computer:
Posted Image
This will bring you to a new screen where the repair process will look for all Windows Vista installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box:
Posted Image
After this, it will present you with a list of options including startup repair, system restore and command prompt:
Posted Image
Try System Restore, first.
If that doesn't work, try Startup Repair.

catrobinson01

catrobinson01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Broni,

Sorry, I see I posted in the wrong forum. I have done all the above to no avail, neither System Restore or System Repair worked, and using SFC commands did not work. I was hoping to exhaust all my resources before I had to reformat, and loose all the data, to try to repair it. It sounds like I may be at that conclusion?

Thank you again for your help!

Cheryl

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Before you go there, and possibly waste your time...
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

bigdobes

bigdobes

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just encountered the exact same problem and have spoken also with Dell. I ran SpinRite and other utilities and found no issue with the hard drive. I am trying to fix the DLL issue so I can retrieve info from my drive through windows before formatting.

I was able to use my Vista CD and get to the command prompt, there by letting me xcopy my data from the laptop's hard drive to an external device such as external hard drive or usb key. You will need to know some dos commands in order to make it easier but you can retrieve your data before formatting.

Naren

Naren

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I found a resolution for this loginui.exe error.

 Boot through the Vista Recovery Disk
 Click Repair your computer
 Click Command prompt
 It will goto x:\Sources
 Type c: and press enter
 Then it will display as c:\
 Type cd windows
 Type cd system32
 Type rename msimg32.dll msimg32.bak
 Type d:
 Type cd windows
 Type cd system32
 Type copy msimg32.dll c:\windows\system32
 Type exit

After that , Restart the computer, and login inside, it will boot inside the windows without a problem.

Advertisements

empush

empush

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Naren, thank you so much!
You have no idea how many days im struggling with this problem! tens of different forums and countless different windows CD's...
I think it's worth to mention that the D: drive u meant is the Recovery Disc drive and not any data hard-drive.
So again - thank you very much!
Chen.

texshack

texshack

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey when I get to the rename msimg32.dll msimg32.bak in the c:\windows\system32> screen it says The system cannont find the file specified.

techmissnaz

techmissnaz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
did not helped me! :) I just follow step by step but getting the same message

sad afternoon

sad afternoon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The date 5.3.2010, I started my laptop (HP dv5T with vista x64 Windows – Home Premium). Before going to the welcome screen, a small dialog box appeared with the content below:

LogonUI.exe - Bad Image
C:\Windows\System32\adsldpc.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

I must click 4-5 times for close it for getting the desktop.
And this dialog will be appear again after I turn off (shutdown) the laptop, as similarly as starting the computer.
In the progress I use computer, I still see another dialog box with the content below:

Virtual Disk Service stopped working and was closed
A problem caused the application to stop working correctly.
Windows will notify you if a solution is available

Please help me fix these errors. thank you very much.

sad afternoon

sad afternoon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
and

To do this, I click Start, click All Programs , click Accessories , right-click Command Prompt , and then click Run as administrator . If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Post back the result.

I Follow the way you instruct me but everything I got, is the picture like this link:
Posted Image
I dont understand the above information image.

and then I type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc/scanboot
Posted Image

Edited by sad afternoon, 12 March 2010 - 11:32 PM.