Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting wireless laptop to desktop

• Please log in to reply

my1stlaptop

my1stlaptop

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a Linksys router (WRT54G2 Wireless-G Broadband) set up on my Desktop (XP). I want to connect my laptop, Dell Inspiron 700m to the network. The wireless connection worked on the laptop for maybe 2-3 days. Haven't been able to connect since.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey my1stlaptop -- welcome to G2G :)

The wireless connection worked on the laptop for maybe 2-3 days. Haven't been able to connect since.

Let's talk about this. Can you please expand on what happens when you try to connect? What are the steps you take? Can you still see the wireless network in the View Available Networks list?

If you can't see the network any more, then make sure you haven't accidentally turned off your wireless switch on your laptop. This is normally a small button located on your laptop, usually near your power button. On some laptops, it is instead a function key, in which case you will need to consult your manual.

If you can see the network still, what happens when you try to connect? Any error messages? Please do the following (what OS is the laptop running?):
  • Click Start, select Run, type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
You'll need a USB chip or some other form of removable media in order to transfer the file to your desktop to post.

Thanks,
- Dan

my1stlaptop

my1stlaptop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : launchmodem.com
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : launchmodem.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-CE-21-9E-16
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.100 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:53:59 AM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 27, 2009 10:53:59 AM Ethernet adapter Network Bridge: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A2-0A-7B-94-D2-94
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-7E-04-10-DD

Hey my1stlaptop -- welcome to G2G :)

The wireless connection worked on the laptop for maybe 2-3 days. Haven't been able to connect since.

Let's talk about this. Can you please expand on what happens when you try to connect? What are the steps you take? Can you still see the wireless network in the View Available Networks list?

If you can't see the network any more, then make sure you haven't accidentally turned off your wireless switch on your laptop. This is normally a small button located on your laptop, usually near your power button. On some laptops, it is instead a function key, in which case you will need to consult your manual.

If you can see the network still, what happens when you try to connect? Any error messages? Please do the following (what OS is the laptop running?):
  • Click Start, select Run, type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
You'll need a USB chip or some other form of removable media in order to transfer the file to your desktop to post.

Thanks,
- Dan

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello,

It looks like your wireless is indeed getting a connection from the router. However, it also looks like you have ICS enabled

Why is this?

On your laptop, please follow the instructions to Disable Internet Connection Sharing -- ensure that Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection is disabled (unticked). Once you have that done, follow the steps in the MS article Set up your computer for home networking (I'm assuming that you are using Windows XP, since you didn't state otherwise). At step 8, ensure you select the option This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway.

Once you have done that, please post a fresh ipconfig /all and let me know if you can connect.

Thanks,
- Dan

my1stlaptop

my1stlaptop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok. I followed each step. I use XP for my desktop and laptop. Here is my new Config:
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-at5qgaac3z
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : launchmodem.com

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : launchmodem.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-CE-21-9E-16
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A2-0A-7B-94-D2-94
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-7E-04-10-DD

Hello,

It looks like your wireless is indeed getting a connection from the router. However, it also looks like you have ICS enabled

Why is this?

On your laptop, please follow the instructions to Disable Internet Connection Sharing -- ensure that Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection is disabled (unticked). Once you have that done, follow the steps in the MS article Set up your computer for home networking (I'm assuming that you are using Windows XP, since you didn't state otherwise). At step 8, ensure you select the option This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway.

Once you have done that, please post a fresh ipconfig /all and let me know if you can connect.

Thanks,
- Dan

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
It still looks like ICS is enabled -- did you ensure it was disabled for all of your network connections? On one of the working machines, can you please post an ipconfig /all.

On the laptop, please do the following:

Step 1 - Connectivity test:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • route print > C:\results.txt
    • ping 192.168.5.1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.

my1stlaptop

my1stlaptop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks. It's still down, but here are the new test results:
===========================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x2 ...00 12 3f 81 b8 17 ...... Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
0x3 ...00 1d 7e 04 10 dd ...... Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
0x4 ...00 13 ce 21 9e 16 ...... Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 4 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 2 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 3 1
Persistent Routes:
None

Pinging 192.168.5.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.5.1: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.5.1: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=64
Ping statistics for 192.168.5.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 41ms, Average = 26ms
Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.

Pinging 209.85.171.100 with 32 bytes of data:
Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 209.85.171.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

It still looks like ICS is enabled -- did you ensure it was disabled for all of your network connections? On one of the working machines, can you please post an ipconfig /all.

On the laptop, please do the following:

• Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • route print > C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Step 1 - Remove your wireless profile:
  • Click Start, select Run, type ncpa.cpl and press OK
  • In the new window, right-click on your Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.
  • Select the Wireless Networks tab.
  • Click on your network's SSID and then press the Remove button.
Step 2 - Re-install your network adapter:
Please do the following -- *Note: You may need your Network adapter drivers CD in order to complete these steps.
  • Click Start, select Run, type devmgmt.msc and press OK
  • In the Device Manager, expand Network adapters
  • Under Network adapters, right-click your network adapter and select Uninstall.
  • Restart your computer; upon reboot, Windows will detect New Hardware and ask you to install your network adapter; please proceed to do so.
Once your network adapter is re-installed, try to connect to your network again (you will need to enter the appropriate passphrase/encryption key). Any change?

my1stlaptop

my1stlaptop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a question on number 4. (Restart your computer; upon reboot, Windows will detect New Hardware and ask you to install your network adapter; please proceed to do so.) After i uninstalled and rebooted the computer, no detection for new hardware came up. How do I reinstall the network adapter?
It did tell me the Linksys USB-wireless G adapter is installed.

Step 1 - Remove your wireless profile:

• Click Start, select Run, type ncpa.cpl and press OK
  • In the new window, right-click on your Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.
  • Select the Wireless Networks tab.
  • Click on your network's SSID and then press the Remove button.
Step 2 - Re-install your network adapter:
Please do the following -- *Note: You may need your Network adapter drivers CD in order to complete these steps.
  • Under Network adapters, right-click your network adapter and select Uninstall.
  • Restart your computer; upon reboot, Windows will detect New Hardware and ask you to install your network adapter; please proceed to do so.
Once your network adapter is re-installed, try to connect to your network again (you will need to enter the appropriate passphrase/encryption key). Any change?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
It sounds like Windows just went ahead and re-installed your adapter without notifying you -- it happens. Although.. I had thought you had an Intel network adapter -- not a Linksys?

If your Intel adapter is your main network adapter, please do the following.
  • Under Network adapters, do you see your Intel adapter listed there? Right-click your network adapter and select Install --OR-- Update.
  • This should allow you to install your network adapter.
If that allows you to install your network adapter, proceed with trying to setup your network connection. If it doesn't, please tell me what's listed under Network Adapters in device manager.

Did you buy/do you have a Linksys USB-wireless G adapter?

Advertisements

my1stlaptop

my1stlaptop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I bought the Linksys USB Adapter (WUSB54GC) since my wireless laptop wasn't working. Under the Network Adapters (Device Manager), I have the following:
1394 Net Adapter
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Do I apply #3? Under Network adapters, do you see your Intel adapter listed there? Right-click your network adapter and select Install --OR-- Update.

It sounds like Windows just went ahead and re-installed your adapter without notifying you -- it happens. Although.. I had thought you had an Intel network adapter -- not a Linksys?

If your Intel adapter is your main network adapter, please do the following.

• Under Network adapters, do you see your Intel adapter listed there? Right-click your network adapter and select Install --OR-- Update.
  • This should allow you to install your network adapter.
If that allows you to install your network adapter, proceed with trying to setup your network connection. If it doesn't, please tell me what's listed under Network Adapters in device manager.

Did you buy/do you have a Linksys USB-wireless G adapter?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I'm presuming you re-installed the Linksys adapter? If that's the case, for the time being let's make that your primary adapter.

Do I apply #3? Under Network adapters, do you see your Intel adapter listed there? Right-click your network adapter and select Install --OR-- Update.

For the time being, please right-click on the Intel adapter and select Disable.

So, now you should be at the stage where you attempt to setup your network connection again. Once you have done that, if you still can't connect, please repeat the following step and post the results:

• Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
I also have a few questions:
1) If you hard-wire your laptop to the router with an Ethernet cable, can you get an Internet connection?
2) If you disable encryption on your router, can you connect via wireless from the laptop?

Thanks,
- Dan

my1stlaptop

my1stlaptop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
This may be a dumb question, but are there any spaces between each word & character:
ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
route print >> C:\results.txt
ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
ping 192.168.5.1 >> C:\results.txt
ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt

I'm presuming you re-installed the Linksys adapter? If that's the case, for the time being let's make that your primary adapter.

So, now you should be at the stage where you attempt to setup your network connection again. Once you have done that, if you still can't connect, please repeat the following step and post the results:

• Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
1) If you hard-wire your laptop to the router with an Ethernet cable, can you get an Internet connection?
2) If you disable encryption on your router, can you connect via wireless from the laptop?

Thanks,
- Dan

my1stlaptop

my1stlaptop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Here's what I have after following your last step:

Windows IP Configuration

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-81-B8-17

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-7E-04-10-DD ====================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x2 ...00 12 3f 81 b8 17 ...... Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
0x3 ...00 1d 7e 04 10 dd ...... Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
====================================================================
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 2 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 3 1
Persistent Routes:
None

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Pinging 192.168.5.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.5.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.

Pinging 209.85.171.100 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 209.85.171.100: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

• Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK

Thanks,
- Dan

my1stlaptop

my1stlaptop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Even when I connect through ethernet from the desktop, I cannot get online on the laptop.

I haven't tried that. How do i disable encryption on the router?