Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP user account does not login into windows...

• Please log in to reply

Cchico

Cchico

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My laptop was infected with an internet virus so while I was following the steps in "Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide" I installed the free antivirus Avast!. After the quick scan the program asked my for a reboot scan. Since I was trying to hurry up I made a mistake and delete all the corrupted or infected files. Some of them were from the windows directory and after re-booting I can't get into windows. The account that I have does not have a passwor so when I click on it it says: "Loading personal settings" and it says right away: "Logging off", and "Saving personal settings". It looks like my profiles files were deleted and now I can't get into windows. Even if I try in safe mode the administrator accout logs in and logs right out. Any suggestions? By the way I have a system restore point, but since I have no access to windows I can't run it. Is there a way to run this through DOS? Or what can I do?

Thanks in advance,

Cristian.

Advertisements

Cchico

Cchico

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
At this point I'm just trying to access my hard drive and look into my favorites file. I have an internet address that I need to use for an emergency and I can't access my laptop. I was thinking to reboot and get a DOS prompt, but I don't have a bootable CD. Can someone help me to access the computer to find my file? or How can I create a simple bootable CD?

Thanks again,

Cristian.