Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista-Movie files

• Please log in to reply

oleman

oleman

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a Friend who recently purchased a new desktop with Vista installed.

We belong to a forum where we often post personal video's and photos for our Friends to download rather than using a file share program. She recently downloaded a couple of clips I posted and they played fine but when she tried to move them to a USB drive she got an error message telling her that the files were Rights Protected and could not be moved. BTW the files are .WMV..

Other people downloaded the same files and had no problem (xp users).... I can send her the files via Yahoo IM and she has no problem with moving them. I'm also a XP user and know nothing about Vista.

Is there possibly a setting that needs to be changed?

Thanks in advance,
oleman

Advertisements

aLemmer

aLemmer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
It might be worth trying a different media player, such as VLC or MPC.

Edited by aLemmer, 31 March 2009 - 10:52 AM.

oleman

oleman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the input but it's not that she can't view the movie but the fact that she can't do anything with the file, Such as move it to another drive (USB) or merge several files together.

oleman

aLemmer

aLemmer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Oh I'm sorry; I must've skimmed over it too fast.

I'm guessing it is Vista's DRM utilities preventing you from doing such.

You can do a quick Google search for "remove drm vista" to solve your problem.