Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My browser's been hijacked.

• Please log in to reply

Musuko

Musuko

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, everyone. =D I don't know what kind of malware/virus/whatever I'm looking at, but it's pretty clear even to a layman like me that something's wrong.

Here are the symptoms:

* Browser's been hijacked (at first it would just redirect my clicks, but now it's not letting me run any kind of search engine)
* System restore didn't get rid of the issue
* Wouldn't let me run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.34 until I renamed the file
* Won't let me update Malwarebytes 1.34 or install 1.35 manually
* Won't read flash drives (gives me a weird "too many secrets" error)
* Communicates remotely (if I disconnect from the internet, Windows'll intermittently tell me I'm not connected as if I were trying to surf)
* At one point, I could hear commercials playing (again, even if all windows are closed)

Any advice or assistance that you could furnish would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Musuko, 02 April 2009 - 03:30 PM.

Advertisements

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Hello Musuko

Welcome to G2Go. :)
=====================

Please download DDS and save it to your desktop.
  • Disable any script blocking protection
  • Double click dds.scr to run the tool.
  • When done, DDS.txt will open.
  • Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
---------------------------------------------------

Please include the contents of the following in your next reply:

DDS.txt
Attach.txt.
================
Download the GMER Rootkit Scanner.
Click the Download exe button and save the randomly named file to your Desktop.

Before scanning, make sure all other running programs are closed and no other actions like a scheduled antivirus scan will occur while the scan is being performed. Do not use your computer for anything else during the scan.

Double-click randomlynamed.exe. The program will begin to run.

**Caution**
These types of scans can produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any
"<--- ROOKIT" entries unless advised!

If possible rootkit activity is found, you will be asked if you would like to perform a full scan.
  • Click NO
  • In the right panel, you will see a bunch of boxes that have been checked ... leave everything checked and ensure the Show all box is un-checked.
  • Now click the Scan button.
    Once the scan is complete, you may receive another notice about rootkit activity.
  • Click OK.
  • GMER will produce a log. Click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "GMER.txt"
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop.
Post the contents of GMER.txt in your next reply.

Musuko

Musuko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello Kahdah, thank you for taking the time to respond. =) The GMER scan took several hours, so my apologies for the delay.

Attached File  DDS.txt   10.92KB   129 downloads
Attached File  Attach.txt   15.52KB   168 downloads
Attached File  GMER.txt   53.13KB   224 downloads

I hope this is what you meant; if not, I'll paste the logs directly into the field and post them that way.

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Yes that is even better.
===============
One or more of the identified infections is a Rootkit.

This can allow hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.
I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately.
If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information,
please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions
to apprise them of your situation.

Please read this for more information:
How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
=======================================

Download Combofix from any of the links below. You must rename it before saving it. Save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Posted Image

Posted Image
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Double click on Combo-Fix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt along with a HijackThis log so we can continue cleaning the system.

Musuko

Musuko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Attached File  ComboFix.txt   12.02KB   78 downloads

I wasn't able to upload the Hijackthis log like the other files for some reason (I was getting a "not permitted to upload this type of file" error"), so I'll paste the contents into this field.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:46:52 AM, on 4/4/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSIService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Wacom_Tablet.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WTablet\Wacom_TabletUser.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Wacom_Tablet.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\imapi.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Hijack This\HiJackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R3 - URLSearchHook: AIM Toolbar Search Class - {03402f96-3dc7-4285-bc50-9e81fefafe43} - C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\aimtb.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLASHX_W.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: AIM Toolbar Loader - {b0cda128-b425-4eef-a174-61a11ac5dbf8} - C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\aimtb.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C4C0DEBE-AD72-4C45-928B-A599C08B6301} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - c:\Program Files\BAE\BAE.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AIM Toolbar - {61539ecd-cc67-4437-a03c-9aaccbd14326} - C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\aimtb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTxfiHlp] CTXFIHLP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VolPanel] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster X-Fi\Volume Panel\VolPanel.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioDrvEmulator] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\DLLML.exe" -1 AudioDrvEmulator "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\Audio Emulator\AudDrvEm.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\isuspm.exe" -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLA] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\Program Files\McAfee\SpamKiller\MSKDetct.exe /uninstall
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime -Delay
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk.disabled
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Toolbar Search - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AIM Toolbar\ieToolbar\resources\en-US\local\search.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: AIM Toolbar - {0b83c99c-1efa-4259-858f-bcb33e007a5b} - C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\aimtb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Bonjour - {7F9DB11C-E358-4ca6-A83D-ACC663939424} - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\ExplorerPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.mi...b?1182316147609
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} -
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0000-ABCDEFFEDCBA} -
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0003-ABCDEFFEDCBA} -
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0007-ABCDEFFEDCBA} -
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0011-ABCDEFFEDCBA} -
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} -
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: mss.dll odmqrb.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: ljJDVpNh - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Adobe Version Cue CS3 - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS3\Server\bin\VersionCueCS3.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1.4322 Update (NetFxUpdate_v1.1.4322) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\netfxupdate.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: ProtexisLicensing - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSIService.exe
O23 - Service: TabletServiceWacom - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Wacom_Tablet.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

--
End of file - 10104 bytes

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Very good.
You can post them too either way is fine.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatley.
===================
Also a new dds log and let me know how things are running?

Musuko

Musuko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The overt symptoms have completely disappeared. I can run Malwarebytes, don't get redirected when I click on search results, etc. The infected files that Malwarebytes found (as noted in the attached log) were dealt with after I was prompted to reboot. Thank you!

Attached File  mbam_log.txt   1.86KB   70 downloads
Attached File  DDS.txt   11.5KB   151 downloads

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    :dir /s
    c:\program files\n
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

Musuko

Musuko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I copied and pasted this into the field:

:dir /s

This was the result:

SystemLook v1.0 by jpshortstuff (02.03.09)
Log created at 00:14 on 08/04/2009 by User (Administrator - Elevation successful)

Invalid Context: dir /s

No Context: c:\program files\n

-=End Of File=-

Did I do something wrong?

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Sorry try it like this please:

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    :dir 
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt